1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

torsion bar questions

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Geary44, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Geary44

Geary44 Senior Member

i have a 2008 dodge ram 1500 quad cab hemi and i was wondering will cranking up the torsion bars help my truck hold a plow and how many turns should i crank my torsion bars i don't want to ruin the alignment. or do you think timbrens would be enough to help with the weight of the plow? thanks for your imput

2. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Do both....each truck will be different according to the plow that is put on it. I put timbrens on my 3500 chevy and cranked the T bars all the way. This truck has a Western Wideout on it(ruffly 1000lbs) and it still sags more than i would like.

3. Geary44

Geary44 Senior Member

i would be putting a meyer STP plow which weights roughly 700 lbs... how many cranks would i need to crank the torsion bars

4. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Maybe start with half way from where it is now, and full crank. And adjust it from there if you feel it needs more.

5. Geary44

Geary44 Senior Member

ok thanks for the tips. . nice looking truck by the way

6. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

Unless I am wrong, your truck being a 2008 has a coilover front suspension as per the timbren website itself and from a bit of google searching. If it was a 2002-2005, you would have the torsion bar front end. The do however make a timbren for your truck though.

2006-2008 ram reg.+quad cab 1500 timbren: http://www.timbren.com/timbren-application-guides/application-pdfs/DF15004B.pdf

2002-2005 ram 1500: http://www.timbren.com/timbren-application-guides/application-pdfs/DF15004C.pdf

Chrysler app guide: http://www.timbren.com/timbren-application-guides/chrysler-dodge-jeep.htm

Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  7. KLC99

KLC99 Senior Member

That's right. You can get spacers cheap that will lift the front 1.5-3 inches but they change your starting height only.

8. Team ReadyLift

Team ReadyLift Inactive
    from USA

9. Geary44

Geary44 Senior Member

so just the timbrens will raise the front of my truck without the plow on ?

10. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

You could level the front and add timbrens (for an extra sense of security) or just do timbrens. Its up to you. Remember though, you have the coil over front, not torsion bars.

11. Geary44

Geary44 Senior Member

im sorry i meant will just adding timbrens level off the front end of my truck without the plow on it ?

12. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

Last edited: Aug 15, 2009