1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Torsion bar question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by PITCH, Dec 21, 2009.

1. PITCH

PITCH Member
    from hamburg

I THINK THE DRIVERS SIDE IS HIGHER THAN THE PASSANGER SIDE. IF I WANT TO TURN THEM DOWN, WHAT DIRECTION DO I TURN THEM. DO I STILL HAVE TO JACK THE FRONT END UP, TO LET HE ONSIDE DOWN WHAT WILL HAPPEN IF ONE SIDE IS HIGHER??? i THINK IT MIGHT BE 1/4 OF AN INCH

2. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

mines off by 1/8 to 1/4 . The alignment guy changed it . if you move the bolt get an alignment. does it still go down the road strait and carry the plow ?if so I'd leave it .

3. Rubicon 327

Rubicon 327 Senior Member

I'm not 100% but I think......

1. 1/4" doesn't seem drastic.

2. I DO think you should try and take the weight off that side.

3. If your looking at it from underneath it should be counter clockwise to lower it.

4. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

Yes, you should still jack the truck up even to lower the front. Does 1/4 inch matter? Well, it's personal preference. As long as it's in alignment, and within the factory z-height, no it does not matter. When you measured, how much fuel did you have in the tank? GM puts them a bit high on the drivers side to compensate a bit for the fuel tank - when it's empty, the drivers side will sit a bit higher. As mentioned, you loosen the bolt to lower that side. If you want the front to go down 1/4 inch, just sit in the drivers seat. It probably is level when the driver seat is occupied - really.

5. Greenstar lawn

Greenstar lawn Senior Member

You hit this one dead on

6. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

Before you go changing anything, make sure you are getting a proper measurement. Remember that it's supposed to be even when going down the road, not sitting still. Fill the tank, have a buddy sit in the driver's seat, empty the bed or make sure everything is centered, park on a very level surface, and then measure the distance from the fender to the top of the rim. The rim is easier to get a precise measurement than the tread and isn't affected by tire wear. You can also measure to the ground, but that measurement is susceptible to both tire wear and tire inflation. The "z-height" is Chevy's official correct way to measure, but it's not as easy to measure as the rim-to-fender height.

It's normal for the bolt on the driver's side to not stick out the same amount as the passenger's side.

7. 7_below

7_below Senior Member

Lefty losey, righty tighty.
    I don't even jack up the front. I got a 06 chevy 2500hd and I just get under with the air gun and give it a few turns up or down. Then like what was said before.... park on level surface and measure from top of rim to under side of fender perfectly vertical.
    Seems to work for me.

8. 7_below

7_below Senior Member

Oh yeah. ..... You might want to get an alignment after.