1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

torsion bar question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 97S104x4, Nov 16, 2010.

1. 97S104x4

97S104x4 Senior Member

when you guys crank your torsion bars for adding the plow, do you crank them all the way up or just a little?

also does the truck always return to its original height after the plow is taken off or does the added weight have some effect on the torsion bars?
  2. Vinnie

Vinnie Senior Member

I work with a fleet of chevy trucks and the torsion bars get turned up 8 full turns when the plows go on and back again in the spring with no problems.
  3. ajman21

ajman21 Senior Member

ride hight and stiffness is controled by the torsion bars they do fatigue if u over load them alot and extreemly often but usualy not enough to be all that noticable and it takes lots of abuse and years.
  4. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

I put green keys on my trucks. Then I put no turns on with the plow.
  5. 97S104x4

97S104x4 Senior Member

would u think a 7ft steel plow on the front of an s10 be overloading it? i think the truck handles the plow really well and maybe only goes down an inch or so at the most when its picked up.
  6. Holland

Holland Senior Member

Take it stages. Try a couple of turns and see how it sits. I turn them up till it sits about level when the plow is off. Also if your going to have ballast in the back make sure its in when you set the ride height. you dont really want the front end higher than the rear when the plow is on the ground. Mark your bolts and count the turns. also, jack up the front on a framemember to unload the front suspension to avoid unecessary wear on the bolts.
  7. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Also lube them up a day before..Several times...
    Use a good penetrant...Not WD 40....

Write down some where safe the number of turns..So you can return it to original settings....
  8. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

The way I had it done was one guy crank while I measure the wheel well. I ended up going up about 3/4 inch on both sides.
  9. 97S104x4

97S104x4 Senior Member

so dont turn them up all the way?
  10. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

Start out with 3-4 turns. Slam it down...drive it around the block and measure from starting point. Put plow on and see where its at. Both sides WILL NOT take same amount of turns. Start with 3-4, slam, drive, and then fine tune one side to the other.
  11. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Why are you slaming it down?
  12. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Crank all the way up, get alignment and get rear end level without plow at local spring shop by re-arcing the springs. Be done with it will look like you lifted the truck!
  13. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

I just do it to "settle" it. Its not like driving it around but maybe it works maybe it dont. I do both.
    This is quite possibly the dumbest advice yet :rolleyes:
  14. tractorbill

tractorbill Member

Yea shocks are too short to begin with, you will yank them apart and then watch the CV angles they will be way wrong!:eek:
  15. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

I would say leave it alone if it handles the load already. If you have to turn them maybe 3-4 turns.
  16. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

just get different tbar keys for the front. my truck was basically ready for plowing after i took out the rear blocks cause it rode like ass!
  17. 97S104x4

97S104x4 Senior Member

the torsion keys is what kills the front end, it allows you to crank them much more than they are supposed to be.
  18. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Why do most here want to crank those T-bars up so far ???

Try just a few at a time ...
  19. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

Have you considered Timbren's. Messing around with torsion bar settings is kinda of a PIA because it effects other things. Then you need an alignment. If you decide to adjust them I suggest painting a white line on the bolt head using white fingernail polish so you know exactly where the bolts are before turning. It also makes counting the turns more precise.
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
  20. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

I can raise the front of my truck higher then the rear and still not run out of shock.Ive never seen a need to waste money on any keys If so u need t bars not keys.