1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

torsion bar keys

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by sasulliv, Feb 7, 2007.

1. sasulliv

sasulliv Junior Member
    from Indiana

i want to lift the front of my 2000 silverado and have looked all over for the best way to do this with out spending an arm and leg

what are some of the pros and cons by using the torsion bar key?

2. GrandScapes

GrandScapes Senior Member

there not bad if you have your blade on as the weight will balance out better so in this way there good and take a lot of pressure off the front end.

The cons are, if you have no blade on and have them cranked up, your camber will be off, more pressure on the ball joints and tie rods.

But to sum it up, they do work and are an inexpensive way to lift the front. I have them on my 05 2500HD

3. FIREMEDIC2572

FIREMEDIC2572 Member

Also watch your CV boots. I know a guy that cranked his way up when he put a fisher on his 2500 and tore the boots. I just level mine out so it does not look like a 2WD.

4. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Just a couple other questions about them. Do you have to crank your t-bars when you get these on to get the front end to raise up at all, or does this keep you from doing that? I am looking at doing this to my new truck I am getting. I will be putting a 8'2'' vee blade on the front of the truck and also timberns. Anything else to know about would be great. How hard they are to install and where can one find a place to buy them besides ebay?

Ryan

5. swa136

swa136 Senior Member

I cranked the torsion bolts up 2 full turns from the factory setting, and put a set of Timbrens in. This is the perfect combo for a 1500 series! It doesn't throw the alignment off, and it doesn't take a nose dive with the plow on.

6. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

I did 4 turns on my 1500 perfect no nose dive and handles great.

RCGM
    Brad

7. swa136

swa136 Senior Member

Yeah, that's probably how many turns I'd have done without the Timbrens. Either way is a must for a GM 1/2 ton.

8. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

torsin bars

if you look close at the t-bar cross member there is a warning sticker warning you to raise the torsion bars when ever you add any additional equipment to the front of the truck or the possibility of dislodging shocks and causing an accedent so it is a must to adjust timbrens a deffinent plus i guess firestone has front air shocks now ,another maintenance item