1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Torsion Bar Keys

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by JonM, Dec 24, 2005.

1. JonM

JonM Junior Member

I have a 2005 Chevy 2500HD, no plow as of yet, but soon... I want to level out the front end of it, and happened to see "torion bar keys" on ebay. They lift the front end by maybe 1 to 2 inches. Now for the question... What will the torsion bar keys do to my front end. Will the lift on the front end, plus the weight of an 8 foot plow create excess wear and tear, or will the angle be too much to have a plow on it? Thanks. JM :waving:

2. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Hi Jon
    I do not see a need for new keys. I have had a 2001 Chevy 3/4 HD and now a 05 3/4 HD and all I did was add Timberns to the front and crank the bars 5 turns. It handles the plow just fine, with very little dipping when I raise the plow. I am running a Boss 8'6'' staright blade which weight's in around 850 pounds.

Good Luck Mike

3. JonM

JonM Junior Member

Flykelley,

Do you turn the torsion bars back down when you take the plow off? Does cranking the torsion bars up 5 turns lift the front end when the plow isn't on? Thanks! JM

4. KingDuramax

KingDuramax Senior Member

On my 05 I cranked them 5 turns it brings the front up 2 inches. I am going to leave them turned up all the time

5. john-boy

john-boy Member

I have the exact same truck and bought a set of the torsion keys u are describing. I took them off the next day and will be sending them back. The thing is...with the factory keys in u run in the adjusting bolts 20 or so turns, but with the aftermarket keys u only need to run the keys in 4 -5 turns to get the same result. either way u are still relying on the factory bars to put the torque on the control arms. They usually do provide a new taller shock mount to prevent hyper-extending the shocks if and when u do crank the bars up but thats the only benefit. Any 4 wheel drive off-road shop will tell the same thing. other problem with cranking the bars up is u will turn the ride to heck!!!

6. beungood

beungood Member

Keys

I installed the torsion bar levelling keys on my 2001 Chevy Silverado 2500HD to pick the sag in my front end up without having to do alot of turning. It just indexes the stock bar from a different starting point than just plain turning. In my case I didnt have to go any turns and got 2 1/2" raise in height and still have all my adjustment to accomodate weight. The only thing you must do is either buy new longer shocks due to the Chevy's(and GMC) or cut a 3/4 or 1" spacer for the top of the shock to bring back your smooth stock ride. It's amazing what this last thing will do for your ride.

Merry Christmass!

Jack

7. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Jon
    In the spring I turn the bars back 5 turns. I used a paint stick to make a mark on each bolt head so I know my starting point and can count the number of turns. I have noticed no change in the way the truck ride's or handle's.

Regards Mike