1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Torsion bar information

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Joel B., Oct 16, 2002.

1. Joel B.

Joel B. Senior Member
    from MN

I have been checking the archives for torsion bar info regarding getting an alignment and I'm really confused. I got the plow (8' Western poly) installed yesterday on my 2002 2500 HD and the installers turned the torsion bars 2 turns. They did 2 turns because only going 2 turns wouldn't require an alignment. True?????

The truck seems to pull ever so slightly to the left (maybe it always did but now I'm thinking about it more).

Will my dealer align the truck under warranty if SOMEONE else adjusted the torsion bars?

Thanks to all,

Joel B.

2. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Unturn the bars, and then go to the dealer and have them return and align the front end. Or just go to the dealer and complain about the pull, but dont offer the fact that the bars have been adjusted.
    Dino

3. Joel B.

Joel B. Senior Member
    from MN

Thanks for the reply, plowking35. Is it true that a dealer will adjust the torsion arms and align the truck for free under warranty? Have you ever had this done by a dealer?

Thanks for any advice,

Joel B.

4. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

when i took delivery of my 2002 2500HD i noticed the truck was not riding level. the left side looked lower than the right. they took it in and found out it wasnt set right at the factory. they adjusted the torsion bars and then realligned it. i think they mustve beefed up the torsion bars, cause the truck rides perfectly level(usually the front on these trucks looks a little lower). to my knowledge, anytime you play around with the torsion bars, youre supposed to realign. id bring it back to them. some dealers drag their feet when it comes to plows, and dont like to warranty anything, but if you play dumb and say its not level, they should do it for free. (just dont tell them the installers turned them up)

Last edited: Oct 16, 2002
  5. plowking35

from SE CT

I ahve in fact had the front alighned many times under warranty. You either have to act real dumb, or be really insistant. Since obstinance is a real glaring trait with me, I go the insistant route.
    Just last week, I had the lower ball joints replaced under my extended warranty, and that included an alignment.
    With the t bars, I also turned mine up after the first plow season, the truck had about 15K on it, and it started drifting. After 3 attempts from the dealer to align the front end, they finally subbed it out, and then it was fine. All this was done under warranty. Another reason to have one done under warranty is that GM then eats the labor needed to remove the knock outs, which are used by the assembly line when the truck goes down it. Its about 2 hrs in labor that they charge you, so you will save about 120.00 from that alone.
    Dino

6. Joel B.

Joel B. Senior Member
    from MN

Here is what I'm thinking of doing:

Turn the torsion bars back out to where they were, tell the dealer the truck sits too low in the front especially with a plow on and ask if there is anything they can do. Hopefully they will suggest adjusting the torsion bars and doing an alignment. Does this sound like a good course of action?

Thanks,

Joel B.

7. plowking35

from SE CT

Does your truck have the plow prep? If so that is exactly what I would do. If not, then just keep the truck as is, and complain of front end drifting.
    Dino

8. DaveO

DaveO PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Ma.

Torsion bars

I agree with Dino's last suggestion exactly!!

Dave

9. Joel B.

Joel B. Senior Member
    from MN

Dino,

Yes the truck does have the plow prep package. Since the truck is designed for plowing, the dealer should do whatever it takes to optimize the truck for plowing, correct??

Thanks for all the advice,

Joel B.

10. plowking35

from SE CT

Not to sound disrespectfull, but you are way over thinking this. take the truck to the dealer and just say the steering doesnt feel right. It drifts or whatever. When they put the truck on the rack they will see that it is out of spec, and then adjust it. No problems, no pay.
    Dino

11. Joel B.

Joel B. Senior Member
    from MN

Thanks for all the help guys, I have an appointment set up fpr monday.

Happy plowing, we had our first flakes today!!

Joel B.

12. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

i didn't know they offered plow prep on 1/2 tons

13. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

Karl.....Gm offers plow prep on 1/2 reg cab trucks..
    Not 1/2 ex-cabs tho...........geo

BTW: On GM trucks turn torsion bar adj. bolts
    clockwise to raise...counter clockwise to lower.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2002