1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Torsion bar clarification

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by hob0918, Oct 3, 2006.

1. hob0918

hob0918 Junior Member
    from CT

Hey guys, I have been going over the old posts about cranking the torsion bars. I would appreciate if somebody could chime in and tell me if my thinking is correct here.
    ----Cranking the torsion bars does not change how far the front will sag when the plow is
    raised, it just changes the initial height from where the sag occurs. (ie.--if the truck sagged 2 inches before the torsion bars were cranked, it still sags 2 inches after they are cranked but you have higher clearances because you started the sag form a greater height.)

I hope you guys can follow that.

Thanks
    Ed

2. geereed

geereed Senior Member

That is correct.

3. hillndale

hillndale Member
    from Maine

Timbrens

So what do Timbrens do for sag? Can you just have the Timbrens installed and not crank the torsion bars?

thanks
    hillndale

4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Cheek out Albany spring's web site it will explain them their..

Look for the banner in the upper left:rolleyes:

5. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

Sure you can. I have them in my truck and I havn't touched the T-Bars. They replace the factory bump stop and absorb a lot of the weight. It does a little bit for sag, but they are more effective in saving your front suspension. $150 well spent, IMO.

6. hillndale

hillndale Member
    from Maine

I'm definately going for the Timbrens, but I've heard mixed opinions on the T Bar adjust. Some say it effects ride. Some folks might be over-adjusting. I've heard 2,3,4, & 5 turns suggested. and that it's said to check the alignment after the adjust. I just got a brandy new '06 2500HD and I don't want to do anything to mess up the front end. I'm sure the plow will provide the opportunity to mess it up anyway if I'm not careful.

thanks

hillndale

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Meyer tech bulletin 1-718R gives Chevy's's recommended torsion bars settings.
    PM me with your email and I will sending to you.

8. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

Just the topic I was looking for. I have a 1500 chevrolet 4X4 and I was wanting to do the same thing with the torsion bars.Who can you get to do this for you? Hey basher if you have the specs for a 1500 chevy 4x4 2004 I would love to have them:redbounce
    PM me

Thanks Brad

9. Rbronkema psfd

Rbronkema psfd Member

An alingment shop will do it for you. Seeing as how you will probably have to bring it there after you crank the t-bars anyways.

10. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

Well I turned the torsion bars up today leveled out the truck I didn't notice anything in the steering or ride? Or is the best yet to come?:confused:

11. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

Ed

If you crank the torison bars
    1: the truck will sit higher without the plow raised ( measure between the top of the tire and bottom of the fender) 6 turns on my 3500 SRW raise it about 1.5"
    2. The truck will sit higher with the plow raised and all through the range.
    3. Because the truck front end sits higher after cranking the bars, it will slightly change the static chamber settings on the front wheels, and that's why you should have the alignment checked , unless your running plow tires and turning the bars back to stock for the off season, and want to get maximum life from your tires.

Bill