1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Torsion bar adjustment

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by MarkEagleUSA, Aug 3, 2011.

1. MarkEagleUSA

MarkEagleUSA Senior Member

I just bolted these bad boys onto my '97

[​IMG]

The t-bars needed to be cranked to eliminate a rub at the rear inside edge of the fender flares. There's only about 3/4" of thread left between the bolt head and threaded cross bar. Is there a rule of thumb as to how far those bolts can/should go? Would a set of re-indexed keys be a worthwhile investment?

Also, as she sits right now it's just about level. Any more lift in front will probably require something (blocks?) in the rear to avoid that California lean.

Comments and advice appreciated.

2. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Carrying a plow & year of truck ....Could be bars are getting weak...

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You can crank the bars all the way, no problem.

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

If you crank your bars all the way up you might need to get the truck alined.

5. vegaman04

vegaman04 Senior Member

I would get it aligned so you don't prematurely wear out your new tires.

6. highmark923

highmark923 Member

If you put a plow on the front it will sag anyways. So you'll need to raise the truck to a substantial level even if the plow is on. Torsion bars might also be weak as someone already mentioned. You can install strut spacers and get new torsion bars with keys. Recommend a realignment for adjustment of torsion bars.

Very nice wheel and tire combo.

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Can you tell us more about the strut spacers?

8. MarkEagleUSA

At what point do you need to start worrying about potential damage and/or stress on the other front end parts like CV joints, axles, shocks, ball joints, tie rods, etc?

I know all about needing the alignment. It needed one before the new tires and t-bar cranking.

Thanks, I'm quite pleased with them so far.

[​IMG]

9. highmark923

highmark923 Member

10. 1/2tonthatcould

1/2tonthatcould Member
    from MA

you will need to get it aligned or it will wear out your ball joints and tires because of how it affects the caster and camber. new keys are a waste of money, just crank them up. try to leave atleast a 1/4 in of thread, rule of thumb i learned from a gm tech

11. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

If you are happy with the height then you don't need new keys. As said you can crank them all the way. Unless you really cranked them up from where they were you should be fine. Don't put off the alignment too long.

12. RichG53

Did any one mention to get it aligned ????

13. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

It will ride like CRAP if you turn them all the way up, Trust me, I had a 00 carry over 1 ton and tried. Turn them to about 3/4 of the way in and leave it. You should get timbrens if you think you will rub with the blade on. Maybe a 3/4 ton isn't so bad, but an actual lift kit would be the best way to go as it would keep your ALIGNMENT angles as close to o.e.

14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Oh yeah, make an appointment with the alignment shop.

15. MarkEagleUSA

Does anyone think I need an alignment? :dizzy:

16. RichG53

Yup !!!
    Should get an alignment.....

But only if you want to....

17. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

If you were driving a ford I would say forget the alignment, but since it is a chevy I would take care of it :D