1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

torsion bar adj...

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by PRO PROPERTY CARE, Oct 28, 2003.

1. ok i did do a search , and couldnt find an answer to my question...
    If i crank up my torsion bars (about 5 turns or so) do i have to have a front end alignment or anything else done.
    It sits ok , even with the plow. But it seems a little lower in front , I just want to even it out. Its off a little even without the plow on....
  2. wyldman

wyldman Member

4 to 6 turns will help level out the truck.If you plan to keep it that way all year round,then it wouldn't hurt to have the alignment checked and make sure the camber isn't out too much.If you just turn them up for the winter,and are turning the bars back down in the spring,then don't worry about the alignment.
  3. Thanks chris
    Im going too adjust them today and see if it raises it much...
    going too order the timberens also.. they were 190 plus tax....
    Is that a reasonable price....
    I was doing some reading on here and didnt realize.. the 2500 HD is actually a 1 ton... is this right....:drinkup:
  4. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

Yes :waving:
  5. wyldman

wyldman Member

That is a good price Mike,even a little better than what we see around here.Most kits are usually $200.00 or more plus the taxes.
  6. thanks for the help...
  7. one last questin about torsion bars...
    can i crank them up with the weight on the front wheels. Or do i have too lift the weight off the front end to do this...
  8. wyldman

wyldman Member

It can be done with the front wheels on the ground,but it's much easier if it's jacked up.Spread some anti-seize on the threads before you turn them,so they will not rust in place.Mark the bolt heads (punch mark),and your socket (tape works well) so it's easy to see exactly how far to turn it.
  9. excellent.
    Thanks once again for the help chris

10. ok cranked the torsion bars up 6 turns.. raised it almost an inch....
    when i started though one side was almost half an inch higher than the other. so I didnt worry about that.. should it be off...
    it seems to drive fine...
  11. actually was just thinking. the drivers side is the side sitting lower .. less than half an inch... but it also has a completly full tank of gas. which is on the drivers side. and so is the battery and power steering.....
    this may be why, and of course. now im acting like an old women ... concerned about every little thing.....lol....
  12. calhoun

calhoun Senior Member

Raised mine 2 years ago (97 K3500). Layed a stright edge across under the truck and found similar points on the frame. Measured from the stright edge up and leveled the truck from side to side. (Drivers side was 1/2" lower at the start)Than raised about an inch total. No problem turning them without truck jacked. Actually it was eaisyer to level it cause I could get the measure as I turned.
    About the alignment. I didn't get an alignment and haven't noticed any uneven tire wear. I do have a summer and a winter set of tires so maybe I havent noticed any wear because they get changed back a forth so much.
  13. wyldman

wyldman Member

The drivers side will sometimes sit lower due to the extra weight on that side.You could put another turn in that side to level it out some if you want,it won't hurt anything.
  14. thanks for the help
    once again.... glad i found this site last winter
  15. ok added one turn to the drivers side, its closer now, still a little lower. ( about 1/4 inch lower) ... So stupid me measures back end of truck . The back sites almost a full inch lower on the drivers side. It has too be the full tank of gas in it right now...

I put the tape measure away,and will never measure anymore...or it will drive me nuts....lol...lol..:realmad:

so a total of 6 turns in the pass. side and 7 in the drivers side . The truck ( as long as you dont measure it) looks better. sites nicer on the front end. I think a little more than an inch higher...

Im done.. next step timberens.... probably next week... im sure more questions too follow...lol...
  16. wyldman

wyldman Member

You never get it 100% perfect.Take it for a drive and remeasure,and it will be off again. :dizzy:

As long as it's close,you'll be fine.
  17. ya.. its close enough for me .... it will just drive me nuts... i used too have old classic cars.. i did a frame off resto on the one. and it was off when i put it together. It drove me nuts.... i finally go tit within 1/2 inch and lived with it..

the truck drives fine...
  18. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

torsion bars

I would be great to have motorized torsion bar adjustment .Just think in cab adjustment for any condition.
  19. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare Senior Member

I have been told that adjusting the torsion bars, then adjusting them back too many times will mess them up, is this true. I have heard this mainly on the 88-98 3/4 tons, can someone enlighten me.
  20. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

There has been so much shuffling of GVWs that the old 1/2, 3/4 and 1 ton designations are just about meaningless.

In '88 a K3500 in pickup style with single rear wheels carried an 8600 lb GVW. In '89 a can and chassis K3500 was GVWed at 10,000 maybe 11,000 on dual rear wheels. Everyone thinks "1 Ton" and equates it with duals.

Sometime around '93 the pickup version of the K3500 went to a 9200 lb GVW. From what I can see it's the same truck that my '88 K3500 is, only a higher GVW.

For a while there were two K2500 variations, one on six lug wheels, same brakes and wheels as the K1500, had a GVW somewhere in the mid 7,000 lb range. At the same time an 8 lug K2500 was rated at 8600 lbs and got bigger brakes. But they were both 3/4 ton trucks in the old way of thinking.

Last I knew the heavier model was the K2500HD and had been upped to 9,200 while the "standard" 3/4 ton was still at 8,600 and the K3500 SRW had been dropped.

So, is the HD really a "1 ton" or is it just a 3/4? And if it's a 3/4 ton what does that make the 8600 lb K2500, a heavy half?

In my opinion none of the current trucks have the capacity to do work that the same model designations could have done 30, or even 20, years ago. I know that the loads I routinely carried on a '72 IHC 1210 (GVW of "only" 6200 lbs) would make my 88 K3500 beg for mercy.