1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Torque Specs

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by Kenyou, Oct 4, 2009.

1. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

Hi guys! I sincerely hope you had a wonderful summer. Right now I'm just trying to get my ducks in a row before it gets too cold.
    I just replaced my angle rams on my CP 8 and I was concerned about how tight they should be. One end is loose fitted and you couldn't over tighten it to save your life. The other end is just the opposite. I don't want to over tighten and wreck something or hinder its movement. The other problem is the King Bolt. How tight should that be? The last thing would be the tightness of the bottom bolt of the E60 pump. I've had these all off before except for the Rams and never gave it a thought but someone mentioned that something should be torqued and it got me to thinking.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You want some up and down play between the angle rams and their mounting brackets, so that is normal, do not attempt to reduce it. You DO NOT want to attempt to crush the mounting brackets with the bolts as a means to close the gap up. You just want to tighten the bolts enough to prevent the bolts from spinning in their respective holes, as that will wear the bolt holes out after some use.

Pump mounting bolts are basically the same way, just tighten them enough so the bolts can't rotate in the holes. Also be sure to grease said bolts on the pump mountings to reduce the wear on the pump, especially on the bottom one that protrudes through the aluminum base, since as you know aluminum is very unforgiving to abrasion.

On the king bolt you only need it torqued enough to take any excess play out of the sector to A-frame pivot point. Any more than that leads to binding and restricted movement. Use plenty of grease there also...

3. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

I love every thing greased...Eliminates wear .... Things last longer !!!!

4. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

Thank you very much!!! I will go out and loosen some of them a bit. Speaking of greasing everything..
    Is Anti Seize which is very good to make sure the bolts come off, but is it good enough to use it as a grease. I did get it all working but it pauses for a second when I try to angle it. Probably got some air in it some where. Thanks again.

John

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I prefer synthetic grease on the bolts shank (the main wear point) and good old anti-seize on the threads themselves.

6. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

Don't remember seeing any synthetic grease. I will sure look for some now. I do use tynthetic oil though.

Thanks a bunch B%B

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Synthetic grease can be a little tough to source local (I order it myself). Second choice would be a marine grade grease as it's specifically designed for salt water and washout conditions. What other conditions are there for a snow plow? :D