1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Torq converter?????

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Bossman 92, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

My guys are pulling the tranny on one of the plow trucks and ran into a problem. My guys can't get the bolts that bolt the torq converter to the flywheel out so they are trying to pull the tranny out and leave the torq converter hooked to the flywheel.

That won't work will it?? I am almost positive that torq converter slides in then you have to spin it a rotation and it slides in further before it is locked in place. Or something along those lines.

Any advice guys??
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Why won't it come off? And yes it's gotta come off.
  3. montec

montec Junior Member
    from ND

I've had both flexplate and tq bolts stuck, TQ bolts are easy if you know how to use a prybar and a breaker bar. If not a die grider and carefully grind away at the bolts. Have had some factory installed bolts way over tight. Or if rounded I've used the bolt out kit from craftsman before.

And you are right about how the TQ installs in the trans. I've removed many motors and trans. Always fun no matter which you are taking out first.
  4. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks for the replys guys. The damn bolts were rounded off. The bolts around the bell housing were almost all rounded off. Thank god for torches or we would have never gotten the tranny out.