1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Toronto morning of Feb 8,2013

Discussion in 'Storm Pictures' started by DellDoug, Feb 12, 2013.

1. DellDoug

DellDoug Senior Member

One of my guys snapped this pic. We got about another 4 inches of snow through the day.

Feb 2013 1.jpg
  2. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

Lets see more of the the Case loaders a 621 will be my next purchase this summer
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Did you ever notice they spelled "centre" wrong?
  4. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

It was quite the day, well couple days. I know who plows Sheridan now. Thumbs Up
  6. DellDoug

DellDoug Senior Member

In Canadian schools both spelling of the word "centre and center" are acceptable, That is what our government says anyway. tymusic
  7. DellDoug

DellDoug Senior Member

Yep it has been busy....Still working 12 hours every night hauling snow! Hopefully we will get it all finished and moved soon? Would love an evening off! :salute:
  8. grandview

And the gov't makes you guys believe the Leafs will win the cup this yr.:laughing:
  9. hammerstein

hammerstein Senior Member

Maybe their cheque bounced and the sign company wanted to have a little humour and misspelled it and the neighbouring theatre wanted it to stay that way. At lease its a good colour.
  10. grandview

Maybe its the cold that gives them a funny behaviour or looking through the catalogue to find an axe to grind:confused:
  11. DellDoug

DellDoug Senior Member

OMG! Lets not talk about the Maple Duds! What a disgrace! They make the Bills look sharp, alert and succesful! :alien:
  12. DellDoug

DellDoug Senior Member

A few more pics...

13. EXR

EXR Senior Member

Love the F650. Want one next.
  14. DellDoug

DellDoug Senior Member

Yep they are good trucks. This one is an F750 though! Thumbs Up
  15. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

What are the expectations of a customer during a storm like this. To see equipment on site and working. I don't think there would be a single company that could keep up with this storm. If they did they must have extra equipment sitting and how do you get paid for that. The margin's seem to be getting smaller and smaller.
  16. DellDoug

DellDoug Senior Member

This is an honest question. With many different answers. I think it depends on the type of customers you have. How much budget and profit as a contractor you have priced into the job and what your deal with the customer is....

We started plowing at 2am. we plowed continously without stopping until 6pm. We did our best to keep the places clean. Some places where we agreed to work without stopping (contract spec) we worked non stop until 2am the next day. The rest we went back on the road at 12am and completed plowing and stacking for 8 am saturday morning. This is not a cheap option/situation and our only solution is that if a job doesn't pay enough money for us to provide what the customer wants then we do not take the job on. It has to make money. Working on a tight margin is a recipe for pain and failure. We will be evaluating each of our customers as we do every year and we will say goodbye to some and hello to some new ones. This is the only way we can do what we do. This is what our customers expect and want. This is what we sell.

Vince McCauley
    Operations Manager
  17. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

I totally agree with this. For your "less desirable" customers, do you ever raise the contract price the next year with the idea that if you get it, it becomes more profitable and if you don't, not a big deal and they get dropped?
  18. DellDoug

DellDoug Senior Member

In my humble opinion that is the only way to approach the situation. If the customer doesn't want to pay the money then we wish them well and let them go find another contractor. Many times a year or two later they come back willing to pay the higher price to get us back. Sometimes they don't. Either way its ok with us. We only want to work for money. It is no fun working for free.

Vince McCauley
    Dell operations
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  19. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

That was good....