1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Toro Snowcommander

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by RB, Dec 5, 2000.

1. RB

RB Senior Member

Is anyone using this new Toro Snowcommander? It's a 7 hp single stage. To me it looks a little big and heavy, but ??? What do you think?

2. iowastorm

iowastorm Senior Member

It's funny you started this thread; I was just looking at them. Never used one, but I share the same concerns too. 115lbs. is pretty heavy to lift out of the truck; especially at 5am and you've been working all night. The nice thing is that it's 24" wide and will clean a sidewalk in 2 passes. I'm just not sure if I'd want to kill my back lifting it in and out of my truck over saving a pass w/ the thing. Think I'd rather have the Honda single stage instead; those things go and go w/out problems.

3. Mowman

Mowman Junior Member

IN&OUT?

HEY GUY'S I GET MY BLOWER IN&OUT OF MY TRUCK WITH A SET OF RAMPS. I BOUGHT A RAMP KIT ($29.00) AND BOUGHT 2 2X6 AND MADE THEM UP. THEY WORK GREAT. I HAVE A MTD POWER-PRO
    W/ 8HP AND 26" CLEARING PATH. IT'S TOO HEAVY TO JUST PICK UP AND THROW AROUND.
    HOPE THIS HELPS.
    Mowman

4. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

This year we may have a dedicated snow blower truck, in that case the ramps will work, however right now we have v boxes in all our trucks and the single stage fits nicely along side, but you have to lift in and out. So a larger wont work for at this time, If I free up a truck bed, then that is a viable alternative.
    Dino

5. iowastorm

iowastorm Senior Member

Ramps are a good idea, but it's one more thing to have and mess around w/ in the back of your truck. In a heavier snow, we've got to use the 2 stages, so we've got to have ramps unless we've got 2 guys to lift the thing out of the truck.

6. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Here's my funny story about ramps & snowblowers. Back when I just had 1 truck & subbed myself out to a friend I pulled into a lot where he was with another one of the subs. The 2 of them were fighting in the back of the truck to get his monster blower out. While they were playing around I got my shovel out of my truck & in 3 minutes tops I shoveled the walk (maybe 600 sq. ft. - 4 " snow) They still didn't have the blower out so I walked over & had a good laugh at them while asking them why they were wasting so much time.

7. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

Thats why you are on your own and they are most likely still trying to get a blower out of someone elses truck.

8. iowastorm

iowastorm Senior Member

RB; I actually looked at the unit today. The sales guy told me that it could take on any 2 stage unit and could throw snow (dry) up to 40'. It was a nice unit, but way too heavy. Bought a 5 horse single stage instead that only weighs 70lbs.

9. Lazer

Lazer Senior Member

Our fertilizer spreader carrying racks (w/ small attached ramp gate) which insert into a trailer receiver tube, work perfectly as snowblower racks in the winter.

10. columbiaplower

columbiaplower Senior Member

not if u have a spreader that fits into that tube

11. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

I was able to demo one of these a week ago. Heavy (not what I thought at first glance) too many moving parts in the pivoting handle ass'y, handle made very thin and flimsy, this machine will not last a seasons worth of commercial work without extensive repairs IMO.