1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

toro snowblower junk

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by pro24bert, Jan 14, 2010.

1. pro24bert

pro24bert Junior Member

snowblowing in my yard with my 1028 toro and the piston go's out the side of the engine.i have had nothing but trouble with this piece of sh&t since the day i bought it.the starter broke off the side of the motor , the plastic chute controller broke off on a cold day and the heat shield vibrated and cracked in three spots.
  2. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

How old is this unit and what brand motor is on it?
  3. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Check Craigslist and local hardware stores and find yourself a nice old Ariens or Simplicity snowblower. They're made of metal.
  4. pro24bert

pro24bert Junior Member

three years old the motor is a tecumseh snowking
  5. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I have 23 year old toro ccr 2000e and it runs like a champ with its 4.5 hp suzuki 2 stroke engine. moves deep snow up to a foot with ease. the newer ones are just not built the same.
  6. pro24bert

pro24bert Junior Member

i have a ccr 2000 i paid $100 for it and has never let me down

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

And Tecumseh is now out of buisness
  8. leon

leon Senior Member

snow blower ;^(

Dont know if you have done anything with your blower but engine warehouse has blower engines of all brands from what I remember, the issue is fit as the snowblower is built around the engine etc.

If you have the room for a briggs and stratton I/C engine with an air filter of that frame and horse power size it would be a better engine simply due to its designed year round use.

It would require a bit of work with the engine throttle and choke cable or buying a replacement engine with a manual choke and engine mounted throttle assembly to simplify things allowing you to leave everything alone with the safety switches on the handle for forward/reverse and the auger drive-connecting the engine safety kill switch may be an issue that you could talk to briggs and stratton about and order the proper items needed and they will help you; I can tell you that in all sincerity as they were able to help me witha 30 year old 16 horse power I/C engine that needed a new fan housing and a new recoil starter.

It may be as simple as ordering a complete replacement B+S I/C engine with the throttle, choke and electric shut off switch and an 110 volt engine starter mounted on the engine to simplify the installation.

I was able to do that in purchasing and replacing a log splitter engine from northern tool-buuut
    the Briggs snow engine or I/C engine will come to you much faster from briggs directly and they will ask you the right questions the first time as long as you have the model number, serial number, type, series number, in hand when you talk to them when you tell them you want an I/C to replace it.

You can also visit thier home page to find a replacement I/C engine first and then talk to of the custome service folks as well. They do respond to questions left on the answering service and their email message page, I have used them both regarding my engines.

If you ordered I/C engine with all the controls mounted on it on it all you would need to do is be sure of the engine base size, crank shaft diameter, and crank shaft length to be able to properly mount the pulley or pulleys.

The electric start is a back saver even with a cold engine and it saves a lot of time and effort.
    Are you using a 5W-30 oil for the crankcase?

leon :sleeping:
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  9. JR Snow Removal

JR Snow Removal Senior Member

I ahve a Toro Power Lite and love it but on the other hand I have a Toro CCR 1000 and dont like it one bit going to sell it and get another power lite
  10. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I have two of these, never let me down. Start first or second pull no matter how long they sit or how cold it is.