1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Toro snowblower coil test

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by apik1, Jan 1, 2009.

1. apik1

apik1 Senior Member

I am working on an old toro 421 snow blower. It has no spark,so how do I test the coil to see if that is the problem?
  2. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

well the best and quickest way ,...first elminate ALL the saftey and ground out possiblitles

BECAREFULL - If you dont know basic safty and not to stick your head in things the move , dont attempt

anyway, things like a keyswitch , or possibly a saftey switch ... what they all do is ground the coil of spark out.... similar to if you touch a screww driver to the top of a plug , and then to the engine block

so i normally start by disconnecting all the extra stuff.....its normallyplugged to a small wire coming from under the engine cover , close to the coil or spark plug... its a small wire maybe 18 gague or so ...could be black?

after that point, your workign with the bare coil... see if you get spark ... if you dont , try removing the cover, and wire brushing the coil , and magnet on the flywheel.... if you remove the coil , you will need a feeler gauge and specs to reinstall it , in relation to the flywheel

but i have installed them with out just fine as well....but a prefured method would be with a gauge, or you could measure it before you remove it, but that could also be part of your problem

im not too sure if there is like a reisstance test you could do? ud have to look up that exact enigne repair manuel an dit would tell you