1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

toro snow blowers

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Snow Removal PA, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Snow Removal PA

Snow Removal PA Junior Member

I have 5 residential accounts that requested I use a blower on their driveway. There's an Ariens dealer close to my shop, and the Toro guy isn't much further. I was planning to get a two stage Ariens, but after reading through the threads I'm starting to question my decision.

So many speak highly of the Toro blowers; I'm just wondering are you guys using them mostly for walks/driveways, or are they equally as good for driveways?

The Ariens dealer has a great reputation for service and availability, plus he's in the middle of my route (Toro guy is 15-20 minutes away), so should I go with the Ariens, or is Toro that much better?

2. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Single stage toro, two stage ariens. We've been running this combo for quite a while for commercial use, several crews every storm, several hours. I personally wouldn't think of going in any other direction

3. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Same. :nod:

4. DodgerFan

DodgerFan Senior Member

Exactly the same here!

5. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I agree with the posts above. The other 2-stage option is Honda but those are considerably more expensive than Ariens.

6. k&j Landscaping

k&j Landscaping Senior Member

Same here, I have residentials that want blower only and I use all Toro. Have a single stage Powerlite, model 38175 and my 2 stage Power Max model 38622. Love them both. And no, I have never had trouble with the plastic chute on the 2 stage. Love the quick stick too on it.

7. Snow Removal PA

well those replies certainly answers my question ... thanks for your help guys!!!

8. LoweJ82

LoweJ82 Junior Member

I apologize in advance for jacking your thread but I gotta ask.... Why not a Toro 2 Stage?

9. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Forget about the 2 stage and buy 2 of the single stage Toros. Get the 621, not the smaller powerlite. The single stagers are faster and easier to use.

10. Snow Removal PA

@ LoweJ82 - I thought Toro stopped making the 2 stage? Also, the Ariens dealer is closer to me & in the middle of my route so I was asking if there was that much of a difference to warrant choosing Toro over Ariens.

@WIPensFan (great pic) - will a single stage be able to clear a higher accumulation or wet snowfall like a 2 stage would?

11. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Thanks, hope you're a Pens Fan as well! Yes, the single stages can clear 8"-10" no problem, even wet. Anything over that the first pass will be tough, but then you can just take half cuts and they keep right on going. They are amazingly resiliant.

12. herbert02

herbert02 Member

Need ramps with a two stage. You'll get done with the driveway faster with the single stage Toro as well.

13. superdog1

superdog1 Senior Member

Can you actually make any $$ blowing driveways? Not to hijack the thread, but it seems like there is more $$ to be made by staying in the truck. The amount of time it takes to unload the blower, do the driveway, load it back up would be 3 or 4 times longer than just pushing it with the truck? Perhaps you are charging them accordingly for the extra time? Just curious?

14. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

You got that right. I'll do it how they want it done, but they're paying for my time.

15. LoweJ82

LoweJ82 Junior Member

I think the key thing when blowing driveways is to have more than one per stop 3 or more would be ideal. Not everyone wants a plow on a driveway.

16. LoweJ82

LoweJ82 Junior Member

My 2 stage 2 guys can easily handle w/o ramps, If I remember I got this one cause the dealer says gotta have a 2 stage if you want to do a rock drive, I know squat on blowers I just know to get in the skid and push.

17. LoweJ82

LoweJ82 Junior Member

I got the powermax 726 oe, the dealer had just gotten 10 in and hadn't even put any of them together could have been old stock I guess, I got this one about 6 weeks ago.

18. peterng

peterng Senior Member

Look at the cost of 2 trucks, 2 plow, lights, insurance etc etc etc compared to the Toros. Hard to argue when it's just you, some cheap.

If you don't have the cash to start loosing real money, the blowers would be a great starting point IMO.
    Pete

19. herbert02

herbert02 Member

You can charge more for snow blowing than plowing. Explain to your residentials that blowing is a more thorough service. Not to mention its not going to chew there driveway up like the plow.

20. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Or that if it's taking a massive amount of time out of my route. I could get 4 drives with my plow done in the time it takes to do one with a blower, hence I need to be compensated to not put a dent in my bottom line.