1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

toro snow blowers((which model))

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by terrapro, Dec 4, 2007.

1. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

i need a blower, local dealer has the 2450gts for $549 and the 3650gts for $599. these are not the electric start models, is the electric start really worth it??? im use to pull starting my leaf blower a dozen times a day. which model is better all around? is the extra $50 really worth a hand crank for the chute and a curved handle?

i see on their site they no longer have the 3650 listed but still have the 2450 listed. it seems to have been replaced with the 221 series that other than the 21 inch width insted of 20 inch there seems to be no difference but i might be leaning towards the 21 inch version
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2007
  2. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

Save the fifty or so dollars and go with the manual chute.....2450 model. Its the same unit like you say without the hand crank which will only slow you down.
  3. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

I run the 3650s
  4. terrapro

from MI

hmm the new 221 series also has the "curved handle" standard plus they are now self propelled insted of paddle driven. those features plus the 21inch width i think i might be testing this new model out.
  5. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

go with the 3650, they will take a beating and keep on running. i noticed on mine that the belt was starting to slip. guess going through 12" of hard packed snow from the city plow was alittle rough on it, but it still would keep chugging along. when i went to replace the belt, i found a pile of rubber in the acess cover and only about 1/2 the belt left. this was after 4 years of hard use, with the only maintanence being replace the paddles and belt. i do have some problems when i first use it for the season, guess the carb gets gummed up and needs to be cleaned out.
    i thought that the 3650 had a bigger engine (6.5 hp) compared to the 2450 (4.5 hp).
  6. terrapro

from MI

hmmm i cant seem to find hp numbers but they are both 141cc. the 3650 can move 1800lbs compared to the 2450's 1700lbs though. maybe thats why, the 3650 has more hp
  7. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

Apparently they can't list HP any more cause some idiot tested some type of engine and it didn't have the listed HP so he sued whoever, now no one wants to list it. I just ordered a 3650, lets hope its good!

8. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

The 3650 does not have more hp. They are the same machine. Only difference is the crank handle and a slightly different handlebar.
  9. dodge rammin

dodge rammin Member

First off - I am a Toro dealer. If you can get your hands on a 2450 get it! It is the best bang for your buck. It has the same engine as the 3650. For commercial use you don't want the crank - the manual chute is faster. Also - don't get electric start for commercial use - you will never use it because they rope start way too easy and it will just rust up. The new 221 series is nice but you can't beat a 2450. The 2450 is a last year hold over model so get it while you can. The new series is not tried and true and I can forsee problems with them.
  10. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

Badoomp chish.
  11. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

I just picked up a 2450,$529.00. Beat the crap out of my old 2450. The 2450 seems to have a smaller housing. Its easyer for me to pick up than the 3650.
  12. terrapro

from MI

well i think i will pick up a 2450. unfortunatly the cheapest price i found was from home cheapo $499, i really dont like supporting the big stores but i cant really afford the extra $50-$100 this time around
  13. ExecutiveLawns

ExecutiveLawns Member

We use the 2450s

I get mine from my dealer for $499 i think he said he gets them for like $450

Just my .02

STRONGARM Senior Member

I have both models, the 3650 is a bit better, the crank is worth it

These are the best blowers around- my first toro i had for 13 seasons, just bought these last year
  15. dodge rammin

dodge rammin Member

Should be able to get on from a dealer for around $500 - they were $549 last year but should be marked down this year from being leftover stock - we were paying $469 for them and blowing them out at $509 this year.