1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Toro Single Stage

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PR Fect, Oct 24, 2003.

1. PR Fect

PR Fect Member

I know many of us have used the light weight Toro CCR 3650. Get to a job, whip it out of the truck, no ramps, blow walks, toss it back in truck. Cheep, fast, does good work. But has anyone used the Snow Commander? Was thinking on picking one up for this season. The better half will be using it most of the time. Was hoping on something easy for her, but not shur if we should go two-stage for the bigger jobs.

2. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

I have seen the Toro Snow Commander in person, in fact I just happened to see it at Home Depot today and it looks like a decent unit. It have slightly larger motor than the Toro 3650, and it weighs more. I think it is around 110 pounds so it may not be easy for one man person to lift it in and out of truck bed without ramps. (Unless you have really big muscles ;) ). The Toro 3650 still do weigh fairly heavy, but at around 70-80 pounds I think, and should be manageable for most of us to lift it by ourselves.

One thing I noticed is that 3650 have chute direction rotating control right in front of you, but the Snow Commander don't have that feature. You would have to either reach over or walk around to change the chute direction.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2003
  3. PR Fect

PR Fect Member

Thanks for the input. Must not be as many Toro owners out there as I thought.

4. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

I love the 3650. I was looking at the Snow Commander yesterday at the show and it is a little bit more bulky. Book weight is 113lbs and 115lbs when equiped with the electric start. there isnt a great amount of difference between the two models capabilites. The CCR 3650 can throw at a 35' distance and so too can the snow commander GTS. The Snow Commander GTS has a 24" clearing width and the CCR 3650 has a 20" clearing width. The CCR 3650 has a 1800 lb capacity per minute and the Snow Commander GTS has a 1900 lb capacity per minute. Personally the CCR's Chute angling system is more durable then the Snow Commander GTS's. I also own an older CCR and it has the identical angling system to the new CCR 3650 and I have never had a problem with it. Just spray a little lithium grease on it to keep it cranking smooth each year.

Jay

5. PR Fect

PR Fect Member

I think we will get the 3650 or go to a two stage. The 726 is only $100 more than the Snow Commander. If it going to be that heavy it may as well be steel. I still wonder what would be easier for her to handle? Two stage that is heavy and drives it self? Or the light weight single that you push?

6. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

The 3650 takes minimal effort to keep it moving forward eating up the snow.

Im sure she will do just fine with either model.

Jay

7. CarlosT

CarlosT Junior Member
    from PA

Be careful...that 726 is a new for 2003 experiment by Toro...a two-cyle powered two-stage. I'm not sure that 2-cycles have the torque to both propel the unit and and drive the auger even with the same HP. Remember that peak HP is related to how fast you spin the motor. Torque on the other hand is what gets the job done and is usuallty related to engine size and good design. Toro may be able to spin up the 726 motor to produce 7HP or whatever but this doesn't mean that it'll have the grunt (torque). This is part of the reason that folks love the Honda single-stages as well...low end grunt. In a single-stage I'd think that this is not as critical but in a two-stage, the engine's got two jobs to do and a lot more geartrain losses.

I wouldn't wanna be the guinea pig in Toro's experiment.