1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Toro single stage throwers & gravel damage?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Exact Services, Oct 11, 2008.

1. Exact Services

Exact Services Senior Member

I'm looking to buy the new Toro single stage 421QR [38585] powered by the Tecumseh 4-stroke 5.5hp

I will be able to buy it for cheap $505, they normally go for $740 out the door, so even I don't like it or it doesn't work out I can recover all my cash out of it during the season. payup

So my question is how tolerant are these Toro single stage throwers with gravel or the occasional piece of gravel?

2. TerrForms

TerrForms Member

Gravel

We use our Toro ccr on Gravel, cement, decks. It will toss gravel quite far! Don't aim discharge @ house! Our two stage we don't even think of using on gravel unless it's really well frozen.
    JS

3. Exact Services

Exact Services Senior Member

Thanks for the input. Do you find that the 2 stage units do more damage down range with gravel, small rocks etc. than the same surface using the Toro single?

4. TerrForms

TerrForms Member

Gravel

Gravel is a pain to work with. If not really really well frozen. Either can do damage. We only snow blow 3 accounts by the retaining wall or garage. I hate to snow blow. It's cold and slow. The truck is nice and warm.
    JS