1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Toro Single Stage Can't Handle Heavy Snow???

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by WIPensFan, Feb 2, 2015.

1. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Just putting this much argued myth to bed right now.:salute:
    This is 15-20" of drifted/street plowed in snow that sat for 12Hrs on this sidewalk before being attended to by me. This was some densely packed snow.

Toro 3.JPG

Toro 2.JPG

Toro 1.JPG

2. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Nice job !!!!

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Wow, now we all can sell our sidewalk equipment and use a single stage.

Nice work....
    Looks like some fresh snow to me?

But around here they use salt,
    Then in 3 to 4 days of cold weather the city comes back and benches back the berms
    Leaving frozen chunks of crap behind.

Do I buy 2 snow blowers on just one?
    And the one can do both situations faster.

Ps is the front of that blower is 24" or 12" tall or less?

image.jpg

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  4. firefighter1406

firefighter1406 Senior Member

SnoFarmer,

A Toro single stage will have problems and not do you well with the chunks of snow. However I do agree with the orginal poster that for a single stage snowblower I wouldn't trade my TORO for anything else. Blows a 12" plus of snow with ease and keeps asking for more. I don't remember exact but I want to say is 12-14" or so in the front of the blower.

5. WIPensFan

Thanks.

:laughing: You can do whatever you want zippy.
    The ring on the bottom of the chute is at 15". Honestly, there were places on that walk where I piled snow 3' high out of necessity to get it out of the way. The handles of that blower were my drift cutters. I might take a picture of that just to shut you up, but maybe that's just wishful thinking.

6. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

:laughing:
    Thanks for the permission pinhead.
    A bit defensive....

So no, your single stage cant do the frozen snow only freshly fallen snow.

I want to see it effectually remove the frozen crap the city plows up like i pictured, not that fresh show.

Efficiency, or do you get paid by the hr?

I guess, now every one can sell their tracked sidewalk machines and just use a single stage.
    thanks.:laughing:

No one said they dont work but it's no myth that they are not up to clearing city-sidewalks of the type of crud
    most of us see .

enjoy your blower...

singel stage VS 2 stage and that bank of snow even looks a bit soft....
    and a woman is running the 2 stage,
    http://youtu.be/FI-AFIA56yo

7. sledneck24x

sledneck24x Senior Member

What model toro is that being used?

8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Yeah the Toro's are really good blowers. I actually sold my 2 stage after using the Toro's. When being paid to do sidewalks your generally fired if it takes you long enough to get frozen chunks that big in the snow.

9. WIPensFan

Power Clear 621 QZR I believe that's what they were called. It's a 2010 2 stroke which they don't make anymore. 21" cutting width. 141cc engine. Now they are 212cc 4 strokes.

10. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

11. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Nice job.

How far were you able to throw it?

12. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

So let's see the after picture when you were done clearing the area shown with your 2 stage blower. He is just showing that single stages can move a lot of snow. No need to get riled up about it. If it works well for him, great.

13. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

we haven't chated in a while.
    sorry no pics for the competition.
    Ill let that independent vid speak for me.
    As i could be biased.

naw, he said.

and i did say....
    It's no myth that it will not be the best choice for most of us.
    so, lets not kid ourselves

Other that taking a shot at me do you have anything to move the thread along?

14. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

I'm not taking shots, simply wondering why it means so much to you to be right in this argument? There is no right or wrong here. What works for one person/situation might not work for another. It is the reason we own both types of blowers and other types of sidewalk equipment. Each has its place.

15. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

You must be new around here LOL

I agree with what you're saying. There's no one single piece of equipment that is perfect for everyone's situation. My Toro single stages have completely replaced my 2 stage blowers. They have yet to meet their match during any of the dozens of events they've been put up against.

16. WIPensFan

Thanks, i would say that snow could go 20-25' if the chute is directed at the right angle. I usually don't go that far with it though.

17. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

Haha! I know............

18. dstifel

dstifel Senior Member
    from Iowa

They know how to sell more expensive snowblowers because we had 12" of sniw here and it was 37 degrees when it started and my toro handled everything I threw at it with ease.

19. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Maybe it's the title of the thread.

That is exactly what my posts are testing to point out.
    One even has a blower on a loader in it.

You own both great but some are chiming in saying things like Camden is " my single stages have completely replaced my 2 stages......"

Will a single stage do it all no.
    Are there times a single stage can be faster, sure .

But is a myth that the single stage can do what a 2 stage can.

what happens when you have the real life conditions we see,
    the frozen chunks that most will in counter while doing sidewalks and all you have is a single stage?

Not all of us will buy 3-4 different sidewalk machines for all conditions.
    So for most a2 stage first is a good idea and then get a single for the light stuff. And Or use your 2 stage as it will clear the light stuff also.

20. WIPensFan

The title of the thread is the myth that single stage blowers can't handle heavy snow...not: a single stage can do what a 2 stage can. That videos you posted are a joke! The guy isn't even trying, it was good for a laugh though. Did you really believe that??
    You and many others can use the 2 stage blowers, I have nothing against them. There are always a handful of people on Plowsite wondering if these little blowers really work in heavy snow, I'm just showing them they do.