1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Toro single stage 421QR

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by LarsonLawnCare, Jan 19, 2011.

1. LarsonLawnCare

LarsonLawnCare Member

I just bought a Toro single stage 421QR. Snow is coming tomorrow. I have a 2 stage toro as well, but I wanted something that can help me get the job done faster. We don't get much snow here in St. Louis, 6" is a big snow fall for us which is coming tomorrow. Has anyone used one of these before? Any tips, stuff I should watch for, pros and cons of the machine?

2. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Good choice, it will kick butt.

3. peterng

peterng Senior Member

they should have a place where they came thaw out and dry off each night. Mine have tended to freeze up mid day even. Just the cable assembly that engages the belt is the issue. surfaces that aren't smooth are tough on the impellers, like poorly finished pavement. hockey tape works well on the handles. make sure the drive belt activation lever is properly tensioned. silicone lube the chute contact surface. don't blow gravel. driveway or walkway paver stones are tough when the cutting edge fetches up. buy spare belts. disassemble anything you may need to repair in the field prior to actually having to maintain it on site.

the single stage saves me every day. love them.
    Pete

4. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

A lot of good advice there.

5. jbell36

jbell36 Senior Member
    from Kansas

i just bought the 221QE and it works awesome, how are you liking yours so far?

6. LarsonLawnCare

LarsonLawnCare Member

I just put that thing to the test and I am impressed. It is fast, light weight; I can lift it in and out of my truck by myself. It gets the snow all the way down to the concrete. It handles well in deep wet snow and seemed to handle better in front of mail boxes and driveways where the street plows pushed the snow than my 2 stage. The things I don't like about it are the small gas tank, and it doesn't throw the snow as far as I would like. We just got 10 inches here the other day and it saved my a**. Were about to get a few more inches, so looks like I get to use it again. It actually kind of makes removing snow fun. I was out for about 14 hours the other day handling close to 30 driveways/walkways. I'm very glad I bought that thing other wise I would have been out longer.

7. CLC03

CLC03 Junior Member

Bang for the Buck

I have had a Toro 421 for a few years and i have been impressed from day one. I don't blow snow for $$$, but I am considering getting into the business. I think a guy could get a lot done(residentials) with a couple Toro single stage snowblowers. Alot cheaper than a blade or skidsteer.

8. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

i have a single stage toro snowthrower as well and it is so quick and easy to lift out of the truck as opposed to setting up ramps and everything