1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Toro Powerlite Single Stage Machine?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by joed, Aug 21, 2008.

1. joed

joed Member

Has anyone ever used the Toro Powerlite snowblower

98 cc, 3.25 hp, Tecumseh snow king engine 2 stroke

16" clearing width

37 pounds.

Would this little thing be alright for a typical residential driveway if you already have a 2 stage blower?
  2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I think that's probably the most popular single stage around. I use a Snapper 5 horse which I like a lot but it doesn't seem to be very common.
  3. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

yep got 3 of them, great machine... maybe better than the bigger ones
  4. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I had 2 of them, got rid of one of them. They are great in a few inches of fluffy snow but anything wet and heavy...forget it!
  5. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

i havent found a blower yet that really handled wet snow good... would you have any reconmendations?
  6. Plowin in VT

Plowin in VT Senior Member

I have one that I got brand new last November, and after every snow fall it went back into the shop to have it "fixed". It almost never would start, and I busted 3 pull cords b/c I kept trying to get the #$#@$#@ thing to start. When it did run it was great, but I think I only got to use it on 4 or 5 events last season.
  7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Bought one last year, and it really really impressed myself and my guys.
  8. BK Hammer

BK Hammer Member

I have two Toros but a little bigger. 20" clearing path and 141cc engines. They throw snow like a mutha! Way faster than two stage units plus premix gas and go, no tranny to break, augers, etc. Always run like a champ and they will blow wetter heavier stuff without getting clogged.
  9. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

I have 2 and love them both. I also use a backpack blower on the real fluffy stuff. As far as heavy wet snow....grab the shovels. :realmad:

10. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Nothing on a smaller scale. We got over 30" in one storm last year and we ended up having to buy a larger one, we ended up buying a Ariens 26" with a 9hp and it went through it like butter!
  11. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

Best snowblower for the money imo...for a little thing they can move some snow.
  12. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

Got one last year, I found that fluffy stuff it was awesome. But if the snow was wet AT ALL it just clogged it. Example: One customer would salt outside his front door a little bit as soon as it started snowing, when we were going down the sidewalk it was throwing great but as soon as we got to the slightly wet spot by the door she clogged up. My partner runs a Honda that is about the same size and design and it just tears through the wet stuff. I might go with Honda next time.
  13. Mike W

Mike W Junior Member

The Honda's are good, but more money. The best Toro's I've seen in the size are the CCR 2000's. Those things throw snow like no tomorrow, wet or powder. Just my $.02

14. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

And weigh 75 lbs. I swear by the CCR 2000. If it was legal, I'd marry mine. But at 37 lbs Im gonna look at the smaller one one of these days for certain applications.
  15. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

The CCRs are great machines, when the city plows came through hours ago and the slush is freezing on top of the snow on the sidewalk it still powers on through, my guys have said even better things about the new Powerclear by Toro we picked up at the end of the year