1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Toro Powerclear 180 problems?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by JERSEYBILL-725, Jan 31, 2010.

JERSEYBILL-725 Junior Member

need help I got a Toro Powerclear 180 model 38282 after about 2 hours use I put it away

3 days later it snowed again started right up but only ran a few minutes started to stall so I pushed the choke off. it just stalled completly. Now it won't start at all.
    I've tried letting it sit for several hours up to overnight in case its flooded but made no difference.
    book doesn't even show you how to get at or check anything.
    any suggestions?
    thanks in advance
  2. openbook

openbook Junior Member

I don't know how much you know about small engines, but usually you have to open the choke to get it to start, then once it's running close it.
    I looked at those blowers on the toro website and they are 4 cycle engines, I hope you didn't think it was a 2 cycle and mix oil with the gas. I don't know what that would do, just thinking of what could have happened.

I don't know much but I do know enough about starting them.

Primed engine, open choke started right up then it started to stall closed choke thinking it
    was warmed up but it just died completely. Then it would not restart no matter what I did choke open or closed primed or not. tried draining carburator nothing in bowl. Pulled line after filter gas pouring out. poured a little into carb put everything back together engine started right up for maybe 5 seconds than stalled out. So for some reason I must not be getting gas into the carburator. Droped machine off at service center hopefully will get it back before next winter
  4. Roch_Greg

Roch_Greg Junior Member

Strange, I have the same model (Electric Start) and it hasn't given me any troubles starting. I've only used the electric started once (since I'm too lazy to pull a extension cord out). Does seem to need a little more choke when it's below freezing to get the engine to catch.

Please post back up what the Service Center has to say.
  5. leon

leon Senior Member

toro, toro, toro- ok wheres the guy with the costume and red cape?

It honestly sounds like you havve varnish and gum
    in the fuel tank-been there done that.

Is the plug set at 25 thousandths?

I always buy premiun fuel and add seafoam as well.

I know I know, the premium fuel is s simple preference
    for me for everything involving small engines.

A little sea foam in the fuel can and a drop or two of it
    in the fuel tank will work wonders.

I am sure you had or have some water in the fuel and it
    froze and warmed up and diluted back in the fuel and
    entered the carb and float whiile it was on its way to the
    fuel intake and then it stopped.

Well, I was quite surprised to receive a call a few minutes ago from the service center, pretty fast service for this time of year.
    They said they had to order a newneedle valve kit(?) because mine was so corroded fuel wasn't getting through. They also said they know I've only owned the machine for 1 month, and I had told them I only ran it for about 3 hours total. They said they explained all that to TORO and it looks like there going to cover everything under warranty even though it sounds like a "Bad fuel" problem they don't understand how that could be the problem since machine is brand new. BTW I have a boat and a bike so I know all the ethanol horror stories. I use marine grade Sta-Bil in all my tanks even when I know it will probably be used up in a week or less.

I will post final results, out come once I get the snow thrower back
  7. Roch_Greg

Roch_Greg Junior Member

Good to hear. While I don't use premium fuel I do use Seafoam (found out about on this site).

I looked at Sta-bil when I was at the Parts Store but I don't think it does the same thing as Seafoam.

Keep us posted.

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Wondering if the needle valve of the float got stuck in the closed position or some plastic plugged the fuel filter. I have used and abused a 16" Power Curve since 2002. Great little unit sad to see them replace the 2 stroke for the 4. Loved the 36lb blower for it was so EZ to pull in and out of the pickup.

Replacement paddles are cheap and so are most of the other wearable parts. Watch out for the fuel lines and the primer to dry rot and crack.
  9. keitha

keitha Senior Member

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010