1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Toro Power Shovel on the roof??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Crumm, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

How do you guys clear off roof's? Or do you? I spent several hours yesterday shoveling snow off of the roof and it isn't too much fun especially since it then needs shoveled again to where I can plow it. Has anyone ever used a Model 38360 Toro Electric Power Shovel on a roof? It looks to be a little compact lightweight unit that might just do the trick. I have never seen one in action or even in the store but I think it may work. Any comments or suggestions? Has anyone ever used one at all? I don't want to grind the shingles off the roof so I was hoping it didn't do a real clean job.
  2. drplow

drplow Senior Member

snow blower

i would use a toro 2 cycle snow blower. the one with the rubber blade. i would use it on the houses that weren't steep. it worked great because it threw the snow away from the house and not leave piles of snow on top of the bushes.
  3. kl0an

kl0an Senior Member

Hey Crumm, down in Valdez and Seward, they use full blown 8hp two stage blowers. Flat roofs and bicycle flags to mark the vents.. You ask people in Valdez what they do in the winter and they just say "Shovel snow"..

I've got a small one that fits on my Ryobi weed whacker that might do the trick as well if not better than one of those electric shovels.. Give it a shot with the electric shovel, just keep an eye on what it does to your shingles..

Down here in Anchorage, we've just had to wait a few days until it hits 40 friggin degrees again and melts it all away!! :mad: We've already had like 4 breakups.. I can't wait for Winter to get here..
  4. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

We don't worry about things like that in New Jersey, we don't get any snow!
  5. MLB

MLB Senior Member

I've heard of people liking the power shovels for small jobs.

Or what about a power rotary broom?
  6. RAZOR

RAZOR Senior Member

I would be worried about damaging the shingles using any type of snowblower on a roof. I use a plastic snow scoop to clear roofs, they are 4 times faster than using a shovel and no damage.
  7. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

Thanks for the replies. I was talking to a guy at work today and he told me he had a power shovel a while back and it would not move more than an inch or two of snow. He said it was about totally worthless. He did not know the brand name but it sounded like the Toro Power Shovel. I guess I will keep using my big plastic snow scooper and plastic shovel. I was just hoping to come up with a way to get the snow out away from the house rather than putting it right next to the house where it needs shoveled away. Anything with any size to it (like a regular blower) would be just too much to manage on a steep roof and would be hard on the shingles. On flat roofs snow blowers are the way to go. I have seen them blowing many roof-tops in Valdez (watch the skylights).
  8. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

STIHL makes a power broom that might be worth a try. You could rent one for a day then if you like it buy it. I have one and find it very useful in the summer but we have not had enough snow to try it here yet. I also use to have one of thoese electric Torro's and it worked fine except in wet snow for trailer roofs.