1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

TORO Power Shft

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by LawnNgarden guy, Dec 7, 2003.

1. LawnNgarden guy

LawnNgarden guy Junior Member

Do any of you own a Toro power shift blower,I have owned one for a couple yrs now and sat. morn when I 1st unloaded it off the truck in reverse it made about 3 hard clicks ,When I put it into forward gear it did nothing,So dropped it at my garage and picked up my spare,After I got my commercials cleaned up I went to the garage and started checking it out ,Found out that the shift fork in the tranny got bound and it broke it and a gear.
    Just wanted to ask if any of you own one and have you had any trouble,I paid like 1700.00 for this machine,Its the only blower I ever saw with a real drive transmission and a swinging axle for weight transfer,It is an awsome machine,never have any problems with the front end trying to climb up a snow bank
  2. Toby

Toby Senior Member
    from NY

I've had the exact opposite experience w/ Toro PS units. IMO they are bulky & difficult to maneuver even with the differential & they tend to ride up because of the shorter wheelbase. They are, however, durable.

The only 2 stage I'll use now is on a hydraulic tractor.
  3. Craig-Toro

Craig-Toro Junior Member

Toro 824 Power Shift

LanwNgarden guy,

I own a 824 Power Shift and loved it up until this weekend when the transmission started giving me problems (actually I still love the machine, it was such an amazing work horse all last winter). I'm having trouble shifting thru the gears, the lever does not want to move in either direction unless you put excessive force on it. I found that it I softly tap the lower ball joint connection to the transmission with a deadblow hammer it will index thru each gear. I can't see anything on the outside (shiftrod, etc...) that has changed so I'm thinking internal transmission problems. Do you have any thoughts on this from your recent experience? Also, do you know of any good service manuals for these machines? All I could find thru Toro were exploded parts diagrams.

Can anyone else out there recommend any good service manuals for 1997 and up Toro 2 stage snowthrowers?

Thanks all.
  4. LawnNgarden guy

LawnNgarden guy Junior Member

Thats all I too could find ,which really helped me out when I went to order parts with part #'s and it to helped when it came time to reassemble