1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Toro Power Max Heavy Duty 1128 (38680)

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Hexa Fox, Oct 17, 2014.

1. Hexa Fox

Hexa Fox Member

Hey guys after doing some research I am leaning towards one of these Toro units. I was wondering if somewhere here had the one listed above and could tell me what they think of it?

I was at a dealer looking at them today and he told me that they stopped stocking them because they were no good on gravel. He said that because of the "Pivoting Scraper" it tends to suck up a lot of gravel.

It sounds like something that might be true. It is also something that really concerns me because I will be on all different types of terrain with this machine. I will probably be on a good bit of gravel driveways that are uneven and not maintained.

Can anyone shed a little light on this? Maybe someone that has used one of these on gravel? I will probably call the dealer tomorrow to confirm, but I am pretty sure that is what he said.

2. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

3. Hexa Fox

Hexa Fox Member

I read that the Ariens are great machines. I heard they only have one problem. That is the power steering. I am not sure if it is true so do not jump on me, but a few reviews say that they are hard to turn.

For me this is the most important factor. Because if I get tired quick I am going home. The Toro I demoed today seemed pretty responsive and did all the work for me but that was on a dry flat surface. I also had to help it a tiny bit but not much.

4. Buswell Forest

from NH

No snowblower is perfect, and none steer like a dream. That Cub you posted is as good as either the ariens or the toro. Buy the one you like best. Keep a lithium ion powered 3/8 impact and assortment of sockets and bits in the truck, keep a glove box full of shear pins and common bolts, get that rack I linked, and go make money. You WILL GET TIRED, but that is what making a buck feels like. Embrace the tired feeling.

5. Hexa Fox

Hexa Fox Member

Thanks. What I meant to say is that I do a few driveways and my back hurts and I'm tired I'm going to make like a PU$$ and go home. Right now I am good at trimming trees, removing trees, mowing grass, and the like. So if snow blowing does not work for me I will stay home.

Now what I meant was my decision now could make all the difference. All I can say is I was very impressed with the Toro I demoed today. It was a very nice piece of equipment. However I was not rolling it around on icy conditions, trying to lug it in and out of my truck, or trying to clear two feet of snow.

I really want to know about the Toro Power Max HD 1128. I am going to get up early and make a phone call to that dealer tomorrow. As that is Toro's best model and I can afford it. However him telling me that the Pivoting Scraper is a big concern for me as I mentioned.

Because I drove around and looked at some of the driveways I will be responsible for and they are uneven and have lots of gravel. So if this machine has a problem with gravel and uneven surfaces then this is a huge drawback.This is also why I am looking for someone that may own one.

6. Hexa Fox

Hexa Fox Member

Also the Toro's Heavy Duty line does not have any shear pins. For better or for worse they label it a commercial machine. Therefore it does not require shear pins. The dealer was very nice and seemed to be honest or he would not have steered me away from the Power Max 1128. I guess he could have been pressuring me into buying the 1028 right there.

Anyway he told me that if it sucks up a newspaper, stick or something similar he said the unit would either spit it out or it would stall the engine before damaging it.

Toro also has a better warranty. I really do not own a business so they can not prove that I use it commercially so I get the lifetime on all the plastic stuff and several years on everything else.

I know most of the machine had warranty for any kind of defects. However the Cub Cadet and A LOT of others recommend you purchase "extra warranty" through them. Because A LOT of the stuff on the other machines has no warranty.

7. Buswell Forest

from NH

Sounds like toro ftw.

8. Hexa Fox

Hexa Fox Member

Yeah I don't know I'm just paranoid I'm going to get (Insert Name) and then get a storm and be thinking "I wish I got the (Insert Name) instead lol.

I'm just going to call the dealer tomorrow and talk with him. Because the Power Max 1128 has a nice big Briggs and Stratton as well. Even though the Cub Cadet is made by MTD the engine brand is not listed. It says by Cub Cadet and I do think they made it but whatever.

Also about ramps I think I am just going to go with Aluminum ramps. I think I am better off not screwing around with anything else.

9. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

Instead of ramps into the back of a truck get a hitch carry all. Easy on easy off. Strap it down and go. No ramps

10. Hexa Fox

Hexa Fox Member

I've had good luck with ramps in the past. I think I am going to buy a nice pair of aluminum ramps. I'm long overdue for having a nice set going into the back of my Silverado.

11. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

12. Hexa Fox

Hexa Fox Member

Thanks that even looks really convenient. I was looking into something like these for this year though.

Steel Truck Ramps

I would have liked something longer but it looks like these will definitely do the job. I get most of my customers when I am out doing work. However I think I am also going to go out and write down some house numbers and print off a bunch of flyers and try to pick up some more people like that. I am sure that when I am out I will get waved down by other people. That is usually the way it works.

Next year if I have a good base of customers I might invest into a ATV, another truck, truck plow, or tractor or something. I just want to see how it goes this year first. I was not going to even buy a snow blower this year.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014