1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Toro Power Clear 180

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by darryl g, Oct 24, 2010.

1. darryl g

darryl g Senior Member
    from CT

Hey. That time of year again to start thinking about snow. I was thinking of getting a Toro Power Clear 180 single stage snowblower as a backup/supplemental unit to my Honda. It's buried in a corner now but I believe it's the 5.0 HP OHV single stage. It's been a good unit. But I'd like to get a backup/supplemental unit that could be used by my 13 and 16 year old sons and maybe even my 100 pound wife for those times when there's big snows and no school and I could use some helpers. Or when I try to make the Honda eat the corner of a concrete parking stop again, lol.

It would get only occasional use. I'm just wondering if anybody has used these. Would I be wasting my money? Better off to must move up the line to a bigger/better one?

Thanks in advance.

2. Banger

Banger Member

I have one I bought last year at Home Depot for 399.00 It worked all season real good. Best thing is its light weight and can throw the snow good. I Have a dual stage that I cant use since I have a tail gate spreader, That Power Clear only weighs about 40 or so pounds so lifting it over the tail gate is easy. That was the main reason I bought it.

It did bog down on very wet snow and the chute does get clogged with heavy wet stuff. Even though they say its a clog free design lol. Nothing bad to say about it really. It always started right up either electric or pull. Guess its to new to have any issues yet but overall it did what asked. .Its worth the money!

3. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I have the 221 and I love it. I ended up getting rid of my dual stage because the Toro worked much better. It's light, throws snow a good distance and it cleans right down to the concrete. I'll be picking up a second one in the next few weeks.

4. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

I purchased one last year and although I personally only ran it a couple times it always did a great job for the shovelers. Never had an issue, and we put it to the test on some pretty big drifts on the walks that got drifted over.

5. turnersnow

turnersnow Junior Member
    from NJ

Are they still selling those at Depot?

6. JayD2

JayD2 Senior Member

I just called my dealer up today on these. The 180 = $359, the 210 = $490, and the 221Q = $590. Im thinking on getting the 210.

7. fulltiltwill

fulltiltwill Senior Member

Older Power lite

I would try to find an older Power Lite. I have heard that the new 180's motor is not the greatest. Plus you can find an older one for $150-200. I have run 3 power lites for the past 6 years and they do just great, from 6" plus to less than 1" slush.

8. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

I. Got mine at home depot. It was one that had been returned and discounted. Bought it mid snow storm while I was killing time. Got it cheap.

9. G&T LAWN

G&T LAWN Senior Member

I bought 2 last year at a true value in my area. They work as good a the powerlites I had, plus the are 4 cycle. No more mixed gas.

10. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

Fluid Film the inside of the chute and it wont clog as easy. I've had that issue before too.

11. Division

Division Member

I know im going to sound like a factory rep for cub cadet but this years 200 series cub cadet snow blowers (single stage) are cheap and effective. I tested a protoype all winter last year and it worked great. Never jammed up and the blades are reversible to get the most life out of the rubber!

Of course, when your a commercial tester for cub cadet/mtd and you get anything you want to test free..... its always a good deal! Honestly we are looking at purchasing 2 for our trucks.

12. darryl g

darryl g Senior Member
    from CT

Wow. Better reviews than I expected really. Thanks guys. Since I already have the Honda I think I'd just go with the 180. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a toy. It would just be used for walks and garage fronts etc. Like I said, a back-up/extra unit.

13. charlg

charlg Member

The reviews sold me too. I just bought one.

14. JayD2

JayD2 Senior Member

LOL, after reading this post the other day, I was at lowe's and just looking around when I saw this edger, troy built I think, and I saw a sign on it and it said $20.00....I right away remembered this post and was about running over to it. I could see that it had been used like I knew it would be. I could hardly believe my eyes, $20 BUCKS! Then I just happened to see that there was something wrote on the back of the ticket and it went on to say that a customer had hit something and broke everything inside and it was just for parts....LOL.

I passed on it being that I did not have on like it and did not need the parts, but it was funny, thought I done found the deal of the year LOL...:laughing::laughing:

15. darryl g

darryl g Senior Member
    from CT

I looked at the Simplicity line of single stage blowers too. What were they thinking? Every single one of them 120V electric start that I can't imagine I'd ever use. Not a single one is recoil only. I don't want to pay for and carry around something I'll never use, although I guess it could help sell it to some little old lady some day.

16. Barrakudaman

Barrakudaman Member

bought a 210, and the thing works great. I'm not so sure i would be as happy with the 180 due to the smaller displacement and it being a 4-stroke.

17. JayD2

JayD2 Senior Member

Did your 210 sound like a motor cross bike when you started it LOL, mine did and smokes a little, I'm hoping that it just needs to break in a little. I only got to use my 210 one time last week for the first time, it did not do to well, but I think its because there was about 1/2" slush under 1 1/2" snow. Cant wait to try in again on dry snow.

18. Barrakudaman

Barrakudaman Member

Mine did not seem to smoke at all. I'll deal with the extra noise for the 2-stroke performance. I went to the store to buy the 180 and the guy talked me into the 210. glad he did. I'm young yet, i can lift the extra 20 lbs over the tailgate;-)

19. cf1128

cf1128 Member
    from NH

The older 5 hp Suzuki motor is the best ones they have made. Good comment.
    I own 2 plus two Honda 621's.

20. Exact Services

Exact Services Senior Member

I have both the new 180 [weighs 55#] and the older powerlite 2 stoke weighs 40#. The extra weight is not worth it IMO. I bought one of the early model 180's last year and the carb was replaced under warranty recall.

Advantage of the 180 is the chute discharge angle is more easily adjusted and the impeller has an engagement lever and 4 stroke engine. It's great a blower for a home owner who is willing to keep up with the snow. The engine on the old 40# Power Lite is proven engine. Time will tell on the 180. If I was to get out of the snow biz I'd sell off all my blowers and keep the 40# power lite.

For the professional skip the 180 .... the extra 20 pounds of weight get a 210, 221, 421 or even the older designed 2450 Toro. If you are lifting over the side of a bed of truck then the 180 may be a better option.

My dad hates the Honda 520 single blower I gave him thinking about giving him the Toro 180 and sell off the Honda 520 or modify that absurdly long goofy chute handle and put it back on my truck.