1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Toro Power Clear 180... for walkways/in front of garage doors?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mkwl, Dec 23, 2010.

1. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

I'm thinking of picking up a Toro Power Clear 180 single stage snowblower for doing walkways and areas I can't reach with my plow... my local dealer has them for about $350+tax. Seems like a decent little unit- about 55Lbs so it should be not too bad to lift into my truck bed (importaint consideration).

Anyone have one of these? On average it wouldn't be blowing more than like 4-5" of snow- sometimes heavy, but usually not too awful.

How well do they scrape down (clean to the pavement)?

How long do the paddles usually last?

Worth the $$$ or is it going to be slower than shoveling? I'm trying to speed up my time on my route- so I'm thinking this might do the trick for me...

Thoughts? I'm thinking of picking one up tomorrow...

2. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

I just picked one up to replace some of my aging S-200 Toros. So far so good, $350 is a very good price btw. If you do get one, replace the nut-knobs for the handles with nylock nuts and crimp a keeper cable on the machine for the kill key so you don't lose it.

And the machine is no svelt 55lbs, it's about 64lbs w/o electric and it's 67lbs w/electric start. That's my one gripe over the old S-200s. They weight what seems like 30lbs.

3. Cmbrsum

Cmbrsum Senior Member

Its a little 3 hp and works fairly well with only 18" wide path. Not great for heavy snow. I used to use it for the main blower. problem is if you are doing sidewalks. It take 3 passes to clear verses something wider only taking 2 passes to clear the walk. Time is money. When you start going to the 21" Toros, they need a lot more power. you want 5hp or more then. I still have my powerlight 18 as a backup in the truck. great little blower.

4. espyj

espyj Member

My trucks each carry a 27" Ariens and an 18" Toro Powerclear (3 hp). On snows of less than 4-6", we use the Toros to clear walkways. In the time it takes to get out the ramps, roll down the big blower, you can whip out the Toro and be halfway done with the sidewalks. My guys love them.

5. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

i use a 221 for walkways and garage doors in a 62 unit hoa and it works great. i went with the 221 b/c i liked the chute deflector better than having to reach over and move it. it stays in an onsite shipping container so i really dont have to lift it very much.

6. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I would get the 221. It has more power and a wider cut, it weighs a little more but if you have some heavy snow it will still kick butt. Don't worry about the extra cost, it will last for many years.