1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Toro Or Ariens Snowblower?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BASIC, Dec 28, 2002.

1. BASIC

BASIC Member

Hi,Im looking for a snowblower to do walks and possibly driveways.The two that look good are the Toro 1332 and the Ariens 1332,both are very similar.We can and do get some pretty heavy snows in this part of northwestern New Jersey.8" a couple of weeks ago and about 12" on Christmas.Do you have any suggestions?Thanks,BASIC.
  2. P&J Lawncare

P&J Lawncare Member

3. cbr954plower

cbr954plower Junior Member

Single Stage or Two.... If single, I love the simplicity... it is a monster.... 6 HP 22 inch cut, I just had ten inches and it never slowed down.... One pull start every time... IT is a great machine..... Single Stage, easy to transport
  4. bassmaster

bassmaster Junior Member

I started a thread on this but i had to choose between a toro and a honda I got the TORO! hands down the best!!!!:drinkup:
  5. MLB

MLB Senior Member

sick of two strokes

who's got the Honda? Just as good??:confused:
  6. pats plowing

pats plowing Senior Member

My dealer sells both toro and ariens. He persuaded me to go ariens. It was the same price for a 13/32. I have a 2001 8/24 ariens that i liked alot and a few older toros that have worked well. Basically i trusted my dealer also the ariens comes with key start with battery, elec shute rotation and hand warmers i dont know if these come on the toro or not. It worked well this past storm 14" of wet snow but it ate through shear pins i went through 4 in 12 hours. Before this i had never broken a single one in 9 years.
  7. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I have 2 Honda 621 units. I love them both, I too got sick of the two stroke issues, and the honda has been 100% reliable over the 4 yrs of service. Two pulls and it starts everytime.
  8. citybobcat

citybobcat Junior Member
    from NYC

I use TORO Snow Commander's! Single stage with rubber blade's they get everything of the ground you think it didn't even snow

from NJ

I picked up a little 5 hp Lesco , made by Ariiens , its' a 2 cycle. It has been great so far, have done walks and drives with it .. It eats up the lite powery stuff like it wasnt even there, and the heavy wet snow we had on Chrstmas it did just as well tossing it all over the place like dust.. Only hard thing was when snow pushed up by plows into dirveways was all packed together and hard as a rock it jumped over it.. It has the rubber paddles, so normally it cleans nicely down to the surface.....ohh and it's 22" wide and light enough to handle by yourself..
  10. jpl

jpl Member
    from ct.

I have both, a toro and an ariens. I absolutly hate the ariens. It dos'nt throw snow worth a dam. The toro goes through anything
  11. landscaper3

landscaper3 Senior Member

We changed from the Toro's to the Honda's single stage. More power, better motor (starts first pull) No mix same gas as our sanders, so no more extra cans. And awsome performance.
  12. BASIC

BASIC Member

Thankyou for the response.Other than getting it on and off of the truck faster and price,what are the limits of a single stage vs. a two stage?Thanks,BASIC.
  13. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I really dont see any, my Honda will easliy go through 12+ inches of snow. Even wet stuff, takes abit more time than a two stage, but I can live with that. The only place that the two stage would really shine, is where the town pushed up alot of snow on a walk, and the single stage would have a tough time cutting into it.
    when that happens, one guy chops the snow and then the blower moves it.
  14. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

blower choice

Toro Toro Toro for me too.
  15. MLB

MLB Senior Member

Just dated yourself

Tommy :waving:
  16. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

i have both single and duals.the toro 824 power shift is awsome.the drive wheels can be normal under the engine or you pull the drive control and it kicks them out behind the engine so it can dig in better.did 18 inches of snow with them.works great there about 12 years old.heavy wet snow does clog them up. thats where the single stage comes in handy.toro snow commanders are awsome.did have any older ariens.that worked good to.can`t remember the model number but it served my step father well for years until i took it.think it was around 20 years old when i got rid of it.
  17. DanG

DanG Senior Member

I saw a snow blower the other day that would be great for driveways up at Tractor supply in Amsterdam.

It was a MTD I believe.

48" width 15 hp with duel wheels on it.

You could do driveways in a hurry with something like that.

The price wasn't that bad either. $2300.00 and change.

18. Hawkz

Hawkz Member

I personally would choose any Toro model, I know many people that have been switching to Toro. I myself own a John Deere Trs 22 model, made by Ariens- and if we ever get any snow here!!! I will be purchasing a nice powerful Toro for on the side jobs. That is a big if, for the snow that is........ there is always next year too. Bring on the snow, Hawkz