1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Toro has discontinued the Powerlite

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by coolgreen, Nov 8, 2009.

1. coolgreen

coolgreen Member

Toro has changed the Powerlite to a four-stroke engine and increased the weight to 54 pounds. I've been trying to find the two-stroke for weeks and I think I've finally got a line on one. I wish I'd bought a bunch of them last year.

The difference between 29 pounds and 54 pounds will seem like a ton by the end of a long shift of lifting it in and out of the truck.

Does anyone else make a light snowblower?

2. joed

joed Member

The old Powerlite with the 98 cc Tecumseh 2 stroke weighed 34 lbs with no electric start and 37 lbs with electric start. The new model with the 4 stroke engine weighs 54 lbs without electric start and 58 lbs with electric start. 20 lbs more plus a width increase from 16 to 18" makes for an interesting design. Whether or not it functions better...only time will tell. The weight, however, was huge selling point.

3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I bought 2 of the older Power Lites (new) 2 years ago...what pieces of junk! They never ran right and when they actually started they hardly moved any snow. I bought the next step up, not sure what model it is but its night and day! Yeah its a bit heavier but goes through 6" of snow like butter!

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I had the exact opposite opinion on mine. My guys and myself couldn't believe what these things would blow.

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Never mine:D

6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Like my wife ha ha. I'm a happy man.:D:redbounce

7. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Well thats just my luck I Guess,lol I ended up selling both for not much of a loss and bought that bigger one. I must have bought the ones made on a Friday.

8. joed

joed Member

I just the Toro Powerlite at Home Depot today. Looks like it's built well but I'm not sure how well it will do in snow. Housing and chute are quite small.

9. bocefus78

bocefus78 Junior Member
    from Indiana

Ive got a 2 stroke powerlite I bought for sidewalks. On driveways of smaller size, its faster than backdragging w/ the plow. I couldn't believe how good that little thing worked! Great little money maker. Wish I had more of 'em.

10. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

What are you guys talking about them being discontinued? I was just at my dealer and they have a bunch of brand new two strokers...even took a pic to prove it but can't upload it from my blackberry now lol