1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Toro Dingo For Walks

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Superior L & L, Oct 26, 2008.

1. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

I was looking for some feed back on using a Toro Dingo for some sidewalks i have. We will probably run a 4-5' blade on it
  2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I have a Thomas 25G that I thought about using. I'm not sure how well a blade would work, how would the traction be? I was thinking about a blower but they are expensive. Mine weights 1500 lbs so it might be heavy enough.
  3. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

Theres a guy in town that uses a dingo for all the sidewalks in town and runs a blower on it. pretty much unstoppable. I think with the blade you would run out of room to push the snow as you have no speed to really throw the snow.
  4. musclecarboy

musclecarboy 2000 Club Member

After using it myself in mud, I don't think it would do well in more than 4". Chains might help it out.

Dingo blowers are like 4 grand from what I've gathered, not sure what they are in the states. I think an ATV or 42"-48" snow blower would be best. If you're doing malls or plazas, I'd just put the sidewalk snow into the lane and scoop it up with a truck/pusher. I'm not sure where you'd need a blower.
  5. rblake

rblake Senior Member
    from dayton

We use our mt--52 when we get ice storms. Works perfect. Never put a blade on it. We have a 4x4 with a v plow
  6. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

depends on your area, and temps....

in the chicago land area, for the most part, as long as there are 5 days between storms , seemed like enough would melt to use plows. I did snow at a large hosptial 8 yrs ago . We did 90% of it with 2 john deere tractors on the walks. never had a problem with it rolling back on to the walk. We had about 5 miles of side walk that we did. We had a gator, that never got used, 7 snow blowers (rarely) and blowers for the tractors, (never used) all we did was plow, or hand shovel. But thats considering , we had a zero tollerance on site, and plowed around the clock witht the storm
  7. dlcmike

dlcmike Junior Member
    from Denver

Dingos Work

We have 8 Dingos(525, 425, and 4 413's) with 36" plows and the standard bucket. Up to 12" the plows just keep on pushing, over 12" the buckets will work (it is not a speed demon with the bucket) Each Dingo can do as much work as 6 guys. Plows have rubber edge. Sidewalks is when they are at their best, No problem with power or traction.
  8. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Toro Dingos are very expencesive and I think an ATV would work just as well if not better. And you could get a 500cc 4x4 with a 60" plow for under $7000.
  9. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

Toro dingos , can have small buckets, a blower, broom, or a fork set to move small skids of salt around

plus an even better summer tool.... cant say that i would have too many uses for an atv in the summer?
  10. dlcmike

dlcmike Junior Member
    from Denver

Every piece of equipment has a sweet spot. Our Dingos are great on narrow sidewalks (36 to 48"). They keep on working no mater how deep the snow gets. ATV's are wider than 36", do a lot of damage to turf and sprinklers along the sidewalks and are useless on deep snows.
  11. bluejlandscaper

bluejlandscaper Member

I have a Toro Dingo 425 with a 6 way power V-blade that I converted from a Ventrac tractor power V-blade. The blade is 28' high and will push snow that deep with very little effort from the Dingo. On one corner lot there is over 700' of 5' wide sidewalk, which the Dingo with the V-blade clears faster than the time it takes to unload and reload the Dingo on the Trailer. When the snow builds up on the edges to over 3' I use the snowblower attachment with the Dingo and blow the snow back in the yard. The snowblower is much slower than using the V-blade attachment. The snowblower attachment also works great on blowing back buildup where a loader is not practical to use. In my opinion the Toro Dingo is a great tool to use in sidewalk clearing!!!!!
  12. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Thanks for that info
  13. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Ah, once again the words of wisdom from someone with no experience.

Define expensive.

Too expensive, elite. Why would you want to buy something you can make money with year round? Way, way too expensive.

We used a Dingo for several years, unstoppable and worked great, just too slow for us. We used the blade exclusively, had the bucket for heavy snows, but never needed it. If the banks got too high we'd use a blower to move them back and knock them down. In tight spots where an ATV won't fit or can't maneuver, it is fantastic. We did these same sidewalks with an ATV and the for the straightways the ATV is faster, but for the tight spots, the Dingo will blow it away. Plus, you can backdrag and have downpressure with a Dingo.
  14. 4evergreenlawns

4evergreenlawns Senior Member

Q for those using Dingo in the winter.

How is it for starting up inthe cold conditions??

Anyone have any type of block heater mod???? (toro are you watching??)

That is my only real concern. I am thinking, the one and only Gas power V box I ever own for one season (purchased brand new) was a P.I.T.A. to start in the cold. Now add the hydro pumps of a Dingo and I am thinking that is just not going to want to start in cold conditions. I would be keeping the Dingo in a container on site but it will only get used for snow events and you know how cold steel can get just sitting.

I flat out enjoy my Dingo for all the greens work I have found for it. The attachements and having them all on one trailer is just great. Well spent $$$ in my case. Even if I do not find a use of it in the winter I will still know it is worth the investment for the $$$$ earned in the summer.

Ron G.
  15. My biggest concern about buying a blower for my dingo 425 would be running around with a trailer during a storm. We use it now to do the side walks around our shop and it works great.
    We passed on the job this would be needed for. Dingos rock!
  16. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I don't finance my equipment like most of you so I end up making more money. I alredy have an ATV so if I was going to plow side walks I would use it I wouldn't go out and finance a Dingo that I don't realy need. What is the interest rate for a Dingo?
  17. 4evergreenlawns

4evergreenlawns Senior Member

Last edited: Nov 2, 2008
  18. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Who said anything about financing? Have you been paying any attention to the news lately about credit availability anyways?

We're not talking about you, maybe the OP already has a Dingo that he wants to put to use in the winter, did you think about that? And on that same note, you may not need a Dingo, but you're not the one asking a question, so maybe you ought to just keep your opinions to yourself on the matter, because he didn't ask about an ATV, he asked about a Dingo, which apparently you have no experience with so you shouldn't be sticking your nose in this discussion anyways.

mercer, go in the corner and play with milwaukee, you guys are 2 peas in a pod.

19. goatboy1

goatboy1 Member

here"s a cheap solution if you have a mini skid of any kind , blower is to expensive ant the blade not useful....mount your smooth edge utility bucket pack it with heavy snow ,water if poss. then plow until finished and don't empty until ready for fine tunes and clean up (the 2500 lbs machine weight and the 500 to 700 lbs snow give you lots of momentum , perfect for sidewalks). Way to much time is spent on skid steers plus bucket , trying to dump every shovel....
  20. tread lightly services

tread lightly services Member

i second this! blade is awesome for those small snows then the blower is king on those 6" plus snowfalls.