1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Toro CCR blower cord jammed, electric start whine

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by incyphe, Feb 10, 2010.

1. incyphe

incyphe Junior Member
    from NJ

My goodness, this forum is huge...

Well, hello,

I have a small Toro snow thrower that looks like http://www.toro.com/home/snowthrowers/gassinglestage/ccr2450.html . It's about 5 years old.

Needless to say, just like millions of others tonight, I tried starting my snow thrower.

It started up right away, but because the snow was wet, the engine stalled out.

So I tried to restart it using electric starter, but it sounded different. It was whining, and the engine didn't appear to be turning over.

So I tried pulling the starter cord, but it was completely jammed. It wouldn't pull. If I wiggle and pull really slow, I can get the cord to travel about a foot, but of course, if I use any force to pull, it gets stuck.

Is this something that can be fixed easily?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)
  2. snobgone

snobgone Senior Member
    from CT

Did you check the oil? When was the last time you started it?
  3. keitha

keitha Senior Member

Try a hair dryer to the recoil, might be frozen,
    Elec start, same thing bendex on end maybe frozen.
    If you get either freed up hit the with PB blaster or other light lube.

Good luck, that machine will be tested this storm

4. incyphe

incyphe Junior Member
    from NJ

Oil is mixed with gas (I think 1:40 or 1:50) ratio. It ran ok on the same fuel the last time I used it about 4 weeks ago.
  5. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

It's a 2-stroke, gas oil mix, no oil to check.

Don't force it. Take it to a dealer before you f-it up worse.
  6. hitachiman 200

hitachiman 200 Senior Member

Bring her in out of the cold for an hour,90% sure that the starter gear is frozen and the same with the pull start. Did you dry her out after the last use?
    yes indeed, do not force the pull start could be something simple.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  7. incyphe

incyphe Junior Member
    from NJ

Following you guy's suggestions, I did bring it inside the house a little while ago.

Do you mean, starter gear is frozen because of cold temp? It's only 32. Would that do it?

I mean, it started up just fine the first couple of times. But after it stalled out due to wet snow, that's when the trouble began.

I can pull the cord out 4 inches, but then it stops. And when I let go, I hear a click inside. It's a pretty noticeable click sound too. At this point, I'm not yanking the cord any more. I gently pull it 4 inches, and when I slowly let go, I hear a mechanical click... Am I making sense?
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  8. incyphe

incyphe Junior Member
    from NJ

Found this great resource for taking this thing apart.

I think the machine's been warmed up inside the house, and I've been taking it apart using the above links.

I think it's a physical jam.. maybe inside the wheel, or something broke inside. ugh. I'm so inept with how these gas power devices work.

I have one more pesky screw to go before I can take off the wheel cover. I'll save that for tomorrow. Not looking forward to shoveling 100ft of driveway by hand tomorrow.:dizzy:

Anyway, thanks for all your help folks so far. :)
  9. incyphe

incyphe Junior Member
    from NJ

Problem found!

The starter motor gear and flywheel gear was jammed. Hammered it back into place.