1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Toro 524 Snowblower Traction Drive Question

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Scoward, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Scoward

Scoward Junior Member

I'm working on the drive system on an old Toro 524. I thought the friction wheel was worn because it was slipping on the main drive pulley, but when I disconnected the friction wheel tension spring, i noticed that the main traction pulley has some play in it, it wiggles back and forth. Is this normal? Can it be tightened or does it need to be replaced?
    The initial reason i wanted to change the friction wheel was because when i put the machine into 2nd or 3rd gear, the friction wheel was slipping on the traction pulley wheel. I thought it was a worn friction wheel but now I'm thinking the traction pulley wheel is loose and not allowing enough pressure against the friction wheel.
    Any Help? Thanks!

2. leon

leon Senior Member

toro, toro, toro, thats no BULL!!

Good evening

Both the pulleys should be replaced and the belt or belts as well.

The tension spring will be a wear item as well and should be replaced.

About the belts, you should buy the Gates Green Belt for heavy duty

useage, as they are worth the money and are designed for shock loads

like snow blowers and mowers.

I believe the toro dealer will want you to put a drop of blue Loc-Tite as well to

secure the bolts.

leon:waving:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  3. Scoward

Scoward Junior Member

Thanks Leon, I just finished taking apart the drive system and discovered that the weld at the front of the drive pulley has broken off the shaft, thus he wiggling pulley wheel. Just gotta remember how to put all this junk back together.

4. leon

leon Senior Member

snow blower

If its not to late use a camera to take a picture and label each part 1234567 etc using masking tape or the manuals are available on the web and at toro

.:waving::mechanic::drinkup:

5. keitha

keitha Senior Member