1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Toro 521 (1988) auger spinning slow (vid inside)

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by JaCkaL829, Aug 14, 2012.

1. JaCkaL829

JaCkaL829 Junior Member
    from nj

New to the forum, and I'm very interested in snow removal, especially since I recently purchased my first home, and I have a very long driveway lol. I have a Honda Rancher along with a plow setup for that, but I also wanted a snow blower almost as a backup, and for the walkways. I purchased a Toro 521 snow blower off craiglist a few weeks ago. The machine although is old, is in very prestine/immaculate condition, at least to me. It was leaking gas so I figured it was bad gas, and kind of took a gamble on it. I cleaned the carb out, and finally got it started. It was running OK, but after reading the manual online, it says to remove that heater box which I didn't, not to mention the throttle was stuck in one spot since I lost the control for the carb. I ordered a new control.

I did notice that the auger seemed to be spinning kind of slow. I'm not sure if there is something wrong with it, or if that's how these machines go? I don't think they spin as fast as a single stage 2 stroke, but this kinda seemed slower than normal. I attached a video below. I'm just wondering what you guys think?

I'm thinking about replacing the drive belt and auger belt since the unit is so old, and I know it's a consumable part. I'm just not sure how difficult replacing the belts is?
    Anything else I should be concerned with, or to look out for? I replaced the spark plug, put fresh gas in it with stabilizer, I still gotta lube the points, but anything else?

Thanks in advance for the help!