1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Toro 38052 - Auger / Impeller Slow to a stop

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by yostmd, Feb 7, 2010.

1. yostmd

yostmd Junior Member
    from NJ

Hi All - I've got a 25 year old Toro 2 stage 5/21 thrower - Model 38052 (5,000's series)... was working beautifully up until last night.

After about 2 hours of use yesterday, I noticed the auger and impeller were slowing to a stop as I moved in to light and fluffy snow... I let the machine thaw out in the garage - thought it was maybe ice build up... still had the same problem.

I opened the plug on the gear case (between the auger blades) and noticed it looked bone dry (I inherited this snowblower 7 years ago from a neighbor). I added about 5ozs. of gear oil (not grease - the hardward store made the recommendation). Still seeing the same problem.

When I move the impellar blade manually, the auger does spin. .. Note - this model does NOT use belts.... the gear case contains a worm screw set up - I believe.

Does this sound like the gears are worn out ? I don't hear any grinding or anything. Hope someone has some idea.

Thanks - Dave

Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  2. yostmd

yostmd Junior Member
    from NJ

I was wrong to state that this is not belt driven... It is... In fact I believe a loose belt is the problem.. now the question is, how do you remove the belt.

It appears that the handle that engages the auger and impellar simply moves a belt tension wheel on to the belt which engages the impellar / auger assembly.

Is this an easy swap?

3. leon

leon Senior Member

If the fan housing is facing you the belt is in the center of the snow blower, if it is opposite you the
    snow blower will have a large cover facing you under the handles and the belt is right under the
    cover- either way changing the belt is simple-just be sure to check if it has a small piece of flat steel
    over one of the pulleys to hold the belt there-you may have to loosen it to allow the belt change-
    to double check it the blowers parts diagrams should still be on the toro wheeel horse home page
    or easily found on lawnsite or the snow blower forum.

4. yostmd

yostmd Junior Member
    from NJ

Thanks Leon - Just picked up a new belt and gonna give it a go....

5. yostmd

yostmd Junior Member
    from NJ

And it's FIXED !! The belt swap was a piece of cake... with a little tightening of the clutch handle, the machine is like new !!

6. leon

leon Senior Member

Toro snow blower

I am glad the repair went well.

:waving: