1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Toro 3650 vs. Honda HS-520

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by chefwong, Dec 4, 2004.

1. chefwong

chefwong Junior Member

I'm looking at both the Toro 3650 or the Honda HS-520.
    I'm leaning on the Honda model.

Anyone familiar with both. Pros/Cons.
    Located in Brooklyn, NYC - Northeast = wet snow.

Don't really have the space for anything larger.
  2. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

I think some Honda's are made in America and I have always heard good things about Honda. I have no idea where Toro is made but it never has sounded like an American name. Many Honda's are built outside the USA and just the final assembly is made here so it is hard to tell. I like to buy American products if at all possible.
  3. jpunlimited

jpunlimited Senior Member

if you can afford the honda go for it they are quiet and built to last. toro is good and a great value. however I have worked on both, and honda is the maytag of snow the blower industry.(non comercial) change the oil and add the fuel preservative .
  4. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

I just bought the Toro 3650, its the 6.5HP, 20inch wide, 2 cycle, recoil start. Paid $600 and the dealer paid for the tax :) It only snowed an inch yesterday so i didnt really use it on anyones execpt for my own, and it was mostly wet, but ill tell ya what, it threw that wet slushy snow with ease. Its great. I havent used that honda, but the honda weighed more, and didnt like how the honda had its chute turning direction thing, because when you move it all the way to the side, it sticks out past the wheelbase and has potential to hit cars, and cant get as close to a building/house, or if your in a minimal area (if that makes anysense, hard to explain) lol, whereas the toro is the crank so no worrys on the handle hitting cars, and you can get closer to buildings/houses. im happy with my purchase. I cant wait till it snows alot so i can really see how this handles.

hope this helps. Homedepot sells em for $600 also, but sense it was the same price at the dealer I buy all my lawn equipment stuff from, its better to buy this from him to establish myself better, and hey, I saved $36 by going to him :)

also, i like how the toro is 73lbs, whereas the honda was more, i know its not that much, but i have a small hernia so it just makes it much harder to lift a tad bit more weight. Also, the honda was 4cycle, where i wanted 2 cycle, that way if it tiped over in the truck i wouldnt have to worry about flooding as much. Hope this helps!
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2004
  5. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

You might look a Ariens too. I have one and they have a nicer paddle design the grabs and holds snow a bit better for throwing and they make them up to 7HP now. I prefer the 2 stroke single stage blowers because they start and run easily in any weather and run very smoothly to even under a heavy load.
  6. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

TORO is an AMERICAN company based in Bloomington Minnesota. Founded in 1914. Cant get much more AMERICAN than TORO.

I'm not saying that the Honda or Ariens is better or worse. Just stating the company is American.
  7. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

I rememeber Toro brand lawn mowers when I was a kid long ago, them and Lawnboy where "Cadilacs" of the walk behind lawnmowers. They cot in to snowblowers as time went on. They make a good product.
  8. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

Agree. Very nice.