1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Toro 2450

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jg244888, Dec 25, 2008.

1. jg244888

jg244888 Senior Member

new here just got a 2 year old Toro 2450 and wanted to know if there is anything to watch out for.
    Thanks

2. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Cats. They don't like snowblowers. And newspapers, garden hoses, chains, christmas decorations...

Oh... not what you meant? :D

3. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Electric cords are a PITA to get unwound from them...

4. jg244888

jg244888 Senior Member

Is is supposed to be reving really high? or is something wrong?

5. TerrForms

TerrForms Member

Toro

You want it to rev. That's where it get it's power from. Not much to go wrong with the toro. Just put gas/oil mix (2cycle) and it keeps on running.

6. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

. . .and keep the moisture out of it. The little 2 cycle gets snotty when it gets a mouthful of water in the gas tank. Gas line anti-freeze works well to prevent this.

7. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Premium gas and synthetic mix is what we use.

8. jg244888

jg244888 Senior Member

is gas antifreeze like a stabil? and how much do i put in a full tank?
    Thanks

9. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

About an ounce a tank load. It mixes with the water and keeps it from freezing and blocking fuel systems.

10. jg244888

jg244888 Senior Member

Was out using my Toro today and suddenly lost power turned shut down and wouldint start. Took it home opened the hundred screws to find a 2" hole blown directly through the engine.... not a good day anyone know what could cause this?

11. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

ouch, sorry to hear about that, I was going to say that you want to be careful getting snow spray (that light fluffy stuff that blows around in the back of your truck) up the carb, make sure you let the unit run for a minute or two before shutting it off to melt off any snow.

12. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

What!? you're suppose to put gas in them! thats why mine wont start anymore!:cry:

13. IPLOWSNO

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

sounds like you didnt put enough oil in it and blam game over imo

14. jg244888

jg244888 Senior Member

no i put what the manual says

15. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

i was joking lol:cool:

16. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

how high was it reving? Mine sometimes revs about 5 times higher then it should! (sounds like a 60cc 2smoke dirtbike being held wide open- just screaming) When it does this I have to keep it under load - blowing snow, or it would blow sky high for sure. It will throw snow 35' when it revs like that (normal is 8-10'). Mine always clears up after about 45 seconds of this, must get warm and melt the snow/ice that was causing it. Only happens every now and then.

17. jg244888

jg244888 Senior Member

it was under load when it happened and id been using it for like 20 mins

18. jg244888

jg244888 Senior Member

anyone know where i could get a new engine in Toronto before the next storm its a 141cc 5hp
    thanks

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  19. IPLOWSNO

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

it came out the bottom[ internal] i would say its had a long life of abuse,rod gets loose and it goes, if it was the topend from oil starvation youd stick a piston imo,isnt it cheaper to buy a new blower?

20. The mayor

The mayor Senior Member

Ebay carries them once in a while.