1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Toro 2450, how good is it?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by oldschoo, Dec 4, 2007.

1. oldschoo

oldschoo Senior Member

Heh, I was looking at the Toro 2450 for $450 or $499 how does that compare to the Snow Comander for $899!? $350-400 more is an awful lot and I don't see any difference that makes the comander worth me spending so much more. It says it will only move 100 more lbs of snow per minute than the 2450. I couldn't find any 3650, I guess it's discontinued, at least at home depot. But I'm anxious to get ahold of something cause in Indy we are probably going to get 2-4 inches or more! Should I just go with the 2450 for now?
  2. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Dude I just got the 2450, and I was worried about it too, but I gotta tell you this thing rocks!!

The other day we had 7-8 inches of dryish snow, and you could practically run behind it. Today 5 inches of sticky(but not very wet) snow, and it was still just as fast!

I am very happy with it, and am considering getting another just because it would speed up a couple of jobs by 10 min each. (two blow only jobs, and I have to wait for my blower guy- I wonder what he thinks while I am just sitting in the truck, lol)

I got the pull start one, and I have no idea why anyone needs the electric. It starts 3rd pull cold, and 1st pull warm everytime.
  3. oldschoo

oldschoo Senior Member

4. nickPSD

nickPSD Member

The single stage toros are pretty much the standard for anything under 12" around here. I have a couple 3650 that we use every snow, the 2 stage blowers rarely get dragged out anymore..I dont think you can go wrong with a 2450 or 3650wesport
  5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I bought a Toro CCR and I'm amazed how much snow it will go through, the 2450 is the next size up so I would imagine it will be even better.
  6. Prof Touch L&L

Prof Touch L&L Member

Dave does that have the Tecumseh engine on it?
  7. oldschoo

oldschoo Senior Member

Well, I went ahead and bought me one this morning. It is my first snow thrower I've ever used. It sure beats shoveling I can tell u that much. It kicks but, especially on sidewalks! My back wasn't sore at all as it would be after using a shovel 1/2 the day last year. It starts very easy too and takes little gas to operate. I'm very excited and pleased with the quality, power, and low weight, of this beast!
  8. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping PlowSite.com Addict

I bought one of them 2450's last season. It works GREAT. I would recomend one and will probably buy another one next season as I continue to expand.
  9. plower13

plower13 Junior Member

im thinking about picking one of the 2450s up tomorrow i can get one for $450. it was the 2450 or the ariens stage 2 6hp i think ill try the lightweight toro
  10. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

You will be happy!
  11. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX PlowSite.com Addict

I have three 2450 and i love them!!!
  12. bam

bam Senior Member
    from .

have 36 toros right now. 11 sno commanders, 1 2450 and the rest are 3650's. all are great machines. the two considerations between the 2450 and the sno commander would be weight and how much snow you need to move.

one man can lift a 2450 or a 3650 fairly easily, however the sno commander is pretty heavy. we have the sno commanders on large sites where we use 3-10 at a time, so there is someone to help load into a truck or utility cart.

the sno commanders are wider and taller units, so again for big sidewalks they are more useful than the 2450.
  13. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

That's a ton of blowers! How long do they usually last you before you have to get new ones? I use both of mine a ton, and I'm not sure what to expect for durability and longevity.
  14. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

I just got the same Toro from Home Cheapo last year and for only being 75# it's a beast. I had an 8hp big ole snow thrower that i never used because it was just too dam heavy to lift and since i had ballast in the back of the truck loading it was out of the ?. Now with the lil Toro, I just lift it over the side of the bed and get to work. It's not that loud running either and it cleans right down to the cement on sidewalks. I love it so much I might be getting another as a back up.
  15. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Right after I wrote this, one of my ariens broke! lol I shoulda known. :rolleyes:
  16. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

I just bought a Toro Power Clear 221R, Previously known as the 3650. Great little machine, we had a dumping of 12-16 inchs and it just blew through it like nothing. Very happy with it.
  17. plower13

plower13 Junior Member

i might be getting one of these also is there a big differnce between this one and the 2450?i no u had to lift the 2450 to get it going this one goes by itself does it go good?
  18. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

This is the continuation of the 3650. They discontinued those part numbers. I don't belive you need to lift it, but we still do to help it along a little.

19. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

you do need to "lift" it but in reality all your doing is slightly rocking the handle up so the paddles hit the ground, when the paddles contact the ground the machine is off and running.

one thing to note is they are susceptible to fine snow blowing into the carb and freezing. This happens when transporting in the back a truck with powdery snow blowing all over or when blowing powder on a windy night. (if the unit won't start you need to thaw it out, if your on-site take off the back plate and put carb right near your trucks exhaust pipe while truck is running, go shovel some and in about 20 minutes it should be gto.)

my unit is now is 4 years old, I replaced the scraper bar and paddles last year and this year its running at about 80% power. it still starts with 1-2 pulls and gets the job done. I am very satisfied with how its held up and the job it has done.