1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Toro 221 QR/QE

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by CLC03, Dec 18, 2007.

1. CLC03

CLC03 Junior Member

Those of you who own this Toro snowblower, what are your thoughts about it? I asked my dealer about the 2450 and he thought this blower would be better.

Thanks for the comments.

2. nickPSD

nickPSD Member

The 2450 has a 13" tall front housing, the 221 has a 12.5". The 221 has the new zip controls on them and its 21" wide versus 20" on the 2450, other than that there idenical, same engine even

3. CLC03

CLC03 Junior Member

Thanks!

Thanks! I figured that they were very similar. I will probably get one if they are available. Supply is low in our area!!!

4. plower13

plower13 Junior Member

the new 221 u dont have to lift up on it to make it go

5. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

I have the 221 and its GREAT, we run 2 and can blow off 30 condo unit driveways in 1.5 hours with 1 foot of snow. Nothing stops these, even with a foot you can run the machine at almost full speed.

Cheers
    Jeff

6. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping PlowSite.com Addict

Not much difference between the 2. That engine works flawslessy good in the cold weather and is pretty fuel effiecent.

7. plower13

plower13 Junior Member

my dealer was tellin me that with the 221 model you dont have to lift up to make it go does it go good with this new design?

8. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

The 2450 was discontinued last year.

9. CLC03

CLC03 Junior Member

Hard to find!

I had a terrible time finding the 221, but I did find "1" 421 in a 60 mile radius of where I live. The 421 is just the 4 cycle version of the 221. I pick it up tomorrow.

10. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

I don't belive you do, I have only used it a little as my shovelers use it the most,. I belive they still lift to go faster and get a cleaner scrape, if you lift it it goes almost faster then you can walk. It is also very light, lighter then previous versions.

Cheers
    Jeff

11. plower13

plower13 Junior Member

let us no how u like it..

12. nickPSD

nickPSD Member

I thought that also, but it is still listed on the website, and in the catalog with the new models :dizzy:

13. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

There may still be some inventory available. I picked one up in November.

14. MB3

MB3 Senior Member

Great

I love that Toro blower. We had 3 inches of Ice/slush/mush/snow/rain the otehr day and my 2 craftsman blowers clogged up all the time, my Toro went through the slop with no problem, and did not even bog down. IT is a great machine, with a huge tank on it too, no need to stop all the time to refuel, saves time = more money.

15. RenegadeX

RenegadeX Junior Member

Hi. I'm new here, and found the site while researching some stuff for potential snowblower buyers. I own a 2008-edition 221R and would like to correct some of the information that was posted above, and share some thoughts about the Quick Shoot option that I wish I had.

... this is a minor point admittedly, but I've seen all kinds of numbers posted online so one day I took out my measuring tape and actually measured my 221R .. from ground to the lower edge of the intake is 12.25".

NO, NO NO!!!
    I used the online Parts lookup tools on Toro's site and got the engine part numbers, then looked them up in the Briggs & Stratton guide. The CC2450 was 5.0HP, the 221-series is 6.5HP
    [​IMG]

I thought so too (as they aren't and weren't last year on Toro.ca, the Canadian Toro site), but some recently started showing up in Home Depot (Canada) stores (at $549CDN).. even though by January every store from Southern Ontario to the Maritimes had almost certainly sold out of every make & model of snowblower they had due to the crazy-bad winter we were having at the time.

And then when I looked online the other day, I found that HD(USA) was selling them online for $499, which suggested it wasn't just a few odd units that showed up out of storage somewhere. Puzzled, I went to Toro.com (US site) - and there it was, *still* listed. So I checked the Parts Lookup, and yes, there's even a 2009 production year & 2009-series serial #s listed.

I then phoned Toro C/S about something else and then asked about this - and was told "Yes, the CCR 2450 'R' GTS (recoil-start) IS still in production.- but the 'E' has been discontinued". But to be honest her product knowledge wasn't very good, and she had no idea why Toro.ca doesn't list it.

The 221-series (& by extension the 421, I assume) does NOT need to be lifted at all - it will pull you along at a near-jog as it is AND it will clear all the way to the ground with 0 effort.

In fact, I used my 221R about a dozen times last winter and not having ever used a snowblower before I had no reason to even consider 'lifting' it to make it go faster - it was almost 'too fast' as it was. I actually didn't mind as when it's cold out who wants to go slow.. buy my neighbour did laugh at me the first few times, saying "In a hurry, are we?!" :)

I got the last laugh, he was still out there 45 minutes later struggling with his 2-stage machine while I was inside, done, dry, hadn't even had time to get cold, but enjoying a hot chocolate anyway.

My only complaint about the 221 other than the oil smell (going to try Amsoil 100:1 this year as I'm told that all virtually eliminates it) is the manual chute adjustment handle -- it's too short to reach from the operator's position when the chute positioned anywhere but straight ahead. (The CCR 2450's is slightly different, it has a bend in it.. perhaps it's the same length but from the photo, it looks better actually!)

So I'd really love to have the Quick Shoot on my 221R, and wondered if I might be able to retrofit it on. I compared the parts diagrams and parts listings between the 221R & 221QR and made a list of the required parts... and then found an online store to get prices.. it's like $85+shipping (so to Canada well over $100 by the time we're done with border taxes and stuff). Ouch! Not worth it at that price. I'd pay $50-$60, but no more.

So I spoke to Toro the other day and asked if they had a complete 'kit' available (at a reduced price from all the individual parts)... but the answer was "no, not that I'm aware of'". She suggested doing so might have warranty ramifications. I'd like one nonetheless..

The other possibility I'd considered was using Lawnboy 33005 parts, as that model has a single handle-hoop thing to control *both* the direction and tilt-angle. But while many of the parts are shared between the LB & the Toro, many of the LB parts have a differnet Part# just because they're coloured green - so it's very hard to determine if it's doable, and/or how many parts would need to be swapped out.

And of course there's always a simple 'home-made'("ghetto") solution to most problems.. in this case putting a section of PVC pipe over the handle might give me the reachability I want.

Anyone else considered this, or doing any other mods to their 221?
    Please share!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  16. Exact Services

Exact Services Senior Member

RenegadeX,

Wow great 1st post welcome to Plowsite :waving:

I just bought the 221Q and I also have the 421Q as a backup and for my wife to use when she helps me. I'm itching to see which one is best.

Instead of trying the jerry rig to old 221 just sell it in the paper Craigslist etc. and buy a new one with the Quick shoot. Problem solved.

You can order one online and get 25% to 30% off depending on your PayPal account status w/ free shipping etc. Research some of my old post and you find reference to it. This will probably more than make up for jerry rigging and the trouble of it all.

17. Exact Services

RenegadeX,

Since you own this generation of Toro 221 how much time is involved in clearing a typical suburban driveway for a 2 car double garage - what snow depth etc.?

So can a typical driveway and walkway can be cleared in 15 minutes of 6 to 8" of snow?

:waving:

18. RenegadeX

RenegadeX Junior Member

Thanks .. I'd seen that post and thought "ooh..nice!" but turns out that deal is only good if you live in the US and I'm in Canada... not to mention that our dollar SUCKS right now (we were at par a few months ago but now your US dollar cost 28% more) :eek:... AND there's no such thing as 'free shipping' up here. I look at US webstores and think of all the nice things I'd buy if I lived down there. :cry:

Anyhow yeah I'd thought about selling it and buying the 221QR locally but the math doesn't work out: cheapest I've seen the 221R is $629CDN, cheapest I've seen the QR is $689. Even if I sold my year-old machine for $630, the Q, new, with taxes would = $780.. meaning my upgrade to Quick Shoot just cost me $150. :blush2:

Absolutely - I'd say you are spot on.

My driveway is a 25'x40' blacktop + I've got a tiered ~20'x6' stone pathway leading to my door. I'd say probably 3/4s of the dozen or so times I used it last winter I was in and out in around 15-20 minutes including EOD & my pathway. So that's 0"->8", no matter what type of snow.

For 8-12" it was a slower (20-35 mins?), primarily because the deeper the snowfall the bigger the EOD, but also because at those depths, doing full-width swaths tended to leave trails of snow debris, so clean (near-)regular speed 3/4-width swaths seemed to be more efficient.

For 12-14" it was ... I dunno, 35-45mins? My recollection might be off but I honestly don't remember being out there any more than 45mins last winter, and we had 2,3 maybe 4 snowfalls where the snow depth was taller than the machine's intake, and one odd day where I had to contend with a huge 30" drift across 1/2 my driveway. Slow going (1/2-width swaths on that IIRC).. but then 'slow' is relative..

Btw... I would love to hear the results of your 221 vs 421 head-to-head. That's one thing I've always been curious to see. Not just opinion, but actual results.

Hey, get this -- apparently Toro doesn't have enough 421Q's to fulfil dealer demand up here and someone posted on another forum that the dealer agreed to take a batch of the similar Euro-spec CCR 6053's instead. It's basically a 421 but the base model doesn't have Quick Shoot.. and *more importantly* comes with a 6.0HP Tecumseh OHV snow engine rather than the 5.5 L-Head that's in the North American-spec 421.

I'd love to see a head-to-head on that, too!!

19. Exact Services

Thanks for the info. Based on that I think I will price my minimum 'per event" push or "throw" based on 1" to 5" and 6" to 10" will be the next price tier up.

As for the US dollar index be prepared for it to fall back down to near par or even below. It will not stay up there long term. Come to think of it I haven't seen many Canadian plates here like we did last early summer and spring. Guess that explains it in part.

Yes I will be posting a full report on the 421Q vs. the 221Q and even the little 40 pound Powerlite CCR one we get a decent mix of snow. On the CCR Powerlite I was a little surprised to find out that the paddles start spinning as soon as you start it. My 8 year old son even commented on the wisdom of that concept.

My only reservation on the 421 is the fact that the engine is a Tecumseh and they recently lost a huge bid to supply Snow king engines which means they are closing the store for good.

The euro spec Toro sounds like quite a machine. If you find any write ups - post it here.

The local Toro dealer has already sold 70+% of their inventory of snow throwers and there is no snow in the forecast. I think everybody remembers the last heavy winter.
    :waving:

20. joed

joed Member

Does anyone have experience with the Powerlite unit?

I already have a 2 stage Ariens for my driveway. I'd like to add a smaller single stage machine. Trying to pick between the 221/421 power curve or the little powerlite. Space in the garage is an issue with the 2 stage snowblower already in there.