1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

toro 2 cycle snowblower won't start after a couple properties

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by carsoncity, Feb 27, 2010.

1. carsoncity

carsoncity Member

we have a couple toro 2 cycle snowblowers and a few of them run fine for a couple of properties, then you move on to another property and suddenly they won't start. Any ideas.

Thanks

2. Laszlo Almasi

Laszlo Almasi Senior Member

Possibly flooded due to fuel dribbling thru the carb during transport? Try turning the fuel off and allowing it to shut off on it's own.

Or...maybe having one of the guys from the Canadian bobsled team trying to start it is your problem...might want to give the US team a shout. LOL

Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  3. hitachiman 200

hitachiman 200 Senior Member

Actually... he's using the U.S. gold formula and that's obviously not working:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

4. kikengrass

kikengrass Junior Member
    from Alb, NY

i had lawn boy throwers that did that would run for a whil then quit . the ethanol in the gas eats the carbs up then they flood out fast when at op temp a new carb did the trick for me . also check for a short on your kill switch water is a terrible thing for electricty

5. carsoncity

carsoncity Member

it can't be the carb, at least i hope not, the machines are practically brand new. I'd hope they set the carb right, and the carb would be fine, unless Toro sent out some bad carbs with these machines. Right now I'm leaning towards gas dripping in the carb from transporting them. I hope that's all that's wrong.

6. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

What models are they, I doubt if it's anything that's been mentioned.

7. WIPensFan

If the machine is running at one property and then won't start at the next, it sounds like you hit the primer bulb when you go to start the machine again. That floods it and it won't start, for quite a while actually! Once they been running you just need to pull the cord, no choke or primer.

8. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

we have the same problem, you have to constantly drop the carb and clean it, then works again for awhile... 4 of them were stolen, now we only have the one, they are nice and light, but I will never buy a two stroke again. Water is always getting in as well, even when we are super carefull with the gas.

9. WIPensFan

I been using these for years and have never heard of anything like what you're talking about.

10. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

add an in-line fuel shut off to the supply line, see if that helps.

11. carsoncity

carsoncity Member

i think they are the 3650, can't remember for sure, I'm not at the shop right now.

12. Laszlo Almasi

Not the bobsled formula...seemed to be a spanking you guys took from our final run down the track.

As for turning the fuel off, you can do so with no problems. I'm a PWC technician and have been racing, riding and maintaining 2 strokes jet skis for 22 years now. With no fuel to run the motor shuts down. The residual oil film remaining on the components is more than adequate to facilitate a safe shutdown in this manner.

Also, as also mentioned, once the motor is warmed up all you should need is a pull or two to get it started. I still suspect that your issue is a flooding issue. What you can do to verify this would be to pull the plug when it is in its nonstarting mood. If the electrodes are wet it is flooding out. If not, then it isn't getting fuel...which I doubt is the problem. Two strokes are two strokes regardless of their end use. They tend to dribble fuel when they are shut down.

Once you understand the basic principles (and quirks) of two strokes you will be able to start them easily, restart them easily, and have numerous years of problem free use. It just boils down to how they operate and understanding them. And the oil you select can and will play a huge role in their longevity as well. Cut corners on that...and you'll pay the price down the road.

13. kikengrass

kikengrass Junior Member
    from Alb, NY

the carb may not be the problem at all. may be flooding in transport. i have 4 blowers all 2 stroke and they never flood in transport, people over priming and choking them is a different story. the two with the bad carbs i had were less then a year old the carbs were junk. they since up graded the carbs. thought that may be the problem since what u decribe is exactly how my blowers were acting. good luck shoveling sucks

14. Indy

Indy Senior Member

maybe she's running hot (check the oil mix)

If it starts after sitting a while, your on the right track

15. hitachiman 200

16. leon

leon Senior Member

I would not be surprized if the plugs were bad and the as the spark plug cools it will shrink the broken electrode in the interior of the plug and lose contact.

If the engines are warm they should be primed only once. My CCR3000 starts cold with no issues with the manual choke.

i would buy a bunch of new plugs and be sure to gap them to 25 thousanths and you will have no issues.

The 2 cycles lose engine heat quickly so a squirt of ether will do no harm.

My 20 year old S200 will not start if its cold-its probably ready for rings I guess.

:mechanic: leon:waving:

17. Laszlo Almasi

Actually, any type of starting fluid, be it ether other anything else...even straight gas, will indeed cause harm. The problem with ether and/or any other type of starting fluid other than premixed fuel/oil is that the fluid will wash the coating of oil off of the cylinder walls and bearings so you are doing more harm than you realize and down the road as the damage builds, so will the chances of a severe problem requiring larger squirts of money to resolve.

18. hitachiman 200

So,.. it is acceptable to run the engine out of gas/oil on purpose by turning the fuel off while the engine is running,...( why anyone would do this is beyond me as it has no usefull purpose).

A good techie would not be so lazy and would drain the fuel bowl before off season storage. Simply turning the fuel off between uses is the recommended way by all manufacturers.

With out board powered watercraft it is permissable to run the engine untill it starts to lean out then turn off ignition. (this removes most off the fuel from the float bowls but keeps your engine well lubed for storage. my johnson 60 takes about 30 secs.), so that when you raise the engine for transport the fuel doesn't end up in the bilge, and then in the water when you pull the plug on the launch ramp.

19. hitachiman 200

You are right Leon as long as the engine was shut down properly to begin with,
    Ether is a gas, not a liquid, so a small single shot to aid in starting a very cold engine will do no harm as it will not "wash" away the oil.

20. Laszlo Almasi

Rock on Canada...do as you wish. But I've been doing it this way for over 20 years. I've also been repairing engines for 20 years and the majority of those engines were owned by operators that used ether/starting fluid to start their motors. If you know how to start a 2 stroke properly then you will not need anything more than the choke. If you do (need starting fluid) then you have other issues that require attention. Ether/starting fluid just compensates for problems in the fuel circuitry.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010