1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

toro 2 cycle quits when running

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by carsoncity, Mar 1, 2010.

1. carsoncity

carsoncity Member

hey guys, now we're having problems with these again, they're running then all of a sudden they die out. Any ideas about this one.

2. T-Trim

T-Trim Senior Member
    from NE OH

sound like your carb is partly clogged. or float is stuck

3. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Tell us exactly what's going on. You're able to run them for how long? Then you go to start them again and they won't fire? What do you mean again, were they working good after the first problems? Need to know exactly the sequence of events.

4. carsoncity

carsoncity Member

they were working one day and then they quit when they went to another property and then the next day, same machines, I think, they started again, but died after using it for a while. Just going by what one of the employees said.

5. WIPensFan

Sorry can't help you based on that, just take them to a dealer.

6. vamootsman

vamootsman Senior Member

Took mine in with the same issues. Carb was full of varnish. $35 later it runs like new.

7. WIPensFan

From what?

8. I usually have similar problems with the toro's we use. Although I find it usually is one of two things but both related to the weather.

1. its warm out and raining, it will run then die out. figure some water is getting into the mix.
    2. I run the thing right dry, then fill it up from a jerry can that is sitting in the back of the truck half full. again condensation.

The third thing I just thought of ... the dealer told us not to use fuel with ethanol in it. Apparently these newer motors will crap out if you use some of the major brands with ethanol. how much of that is true, I don't know. Its something to do with Octane levels, again according to the drivel i was told. I say drivel because I don't know how much is true and how much is trying to sell more product.

9. carsoncity

carsoncity Member

yeah we use super unleaded fuel, I think there's water getting into it as well, sometimes we take the float bowl off and there's crap in there so we clean it out, other times we check the float bowl and it's clean. You would think these would be more reliable, especially when they are newer. Frustrating to say the least.

10. vamootsman

vamootsman Senior Member

I don't know what it's from. I use Unleaded 89 octane gas that has ethanol, because that's mostly what's available around here, and standard 2-cycle oil. I do mix it a little heavy, like 40 or 45-1 Since I run them hard. The blower I took in was the Power lite, and it's pretty old. Don't know how well it was maintained before I aquired 5 years ago, but it ran great til this winter. At least now it's back to running great. FYI, If your primer cover is cracked at all, the Blowers wont run properly either. That may be common knowlege, but I learned it thru trial and error.

11. WIPensFan

The gas I use has ethanol in it as well, I've run that crap through them for years. I don't think it makes a difference. Everyone should make sure the gas is drained at the end of the season on these blowers as that can cause problems the following year. Also no need to not run a 50:1 gas oil mix - that's what it's supposed to be, no matter how hard you run them. For the last 2 years I've been putting Sea Foam in the mix as well, seems to make them run consistantly smooth.

12. vamootsman

vamootsman Senior Member

Never thought of running Sea Foam thru them. Thanks for the tip. It makes everything else I use run better. I'll try to stay closer to 50:1. I'm just a little gun shy since most of the blowers in the shop are there for piston work. Probably from mixing way too light, but that's just an asssssssumption.

13. carsoncity

carsoncity Member

whats seafoam

14. leon

leon Senior Member

toro, toro, toro, thats no BULL!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your mixing 25 to one will lessen problems with your engines and increase lubrication, that is how I run everything that is 2 and 4 cycle which I own I own as we also have the ten percent ethanol blend and I also add extra Sea Foam (two or three drops in the gas tanks before adding fuel which helps tremedously.

leon

:waving::mechanic:

15. WIPensFan

It's a fuel additive that you can use in 2-stroke and 4-stroke engines. Acts as a stabilizer- cleaner, and can be added right into the engine oil if you want. Comes in a white can with red letters and is called Sea Foam.

16. leon

leon Senior Member

toro, toro, toro, thats no BULL!!!

You can buy Sea Foam from NAPA, Tractor Supply and other major chains.

leon:nod::cool::waving:

17. Danscapes

Danscapes Senior Member

Buy Stihl HP Ultra to use in all of your 2-cycle and 4-cycle mixes. It has fuel stabilizer built in and is synthetic. Also I always run 89 octane in my mixed fuels.

18. WIPensFan

Yeah, that's good stuff. I run that in all my 2-stroke stuff.

Danscapes what's a 4-cycle mix?

19. Danscapes

Danscapes Senior Member

20. WIPensFan

I've never seen or heard of that type of engine before. Is it new? I just bought 2 new Stihl hedge trimmers last fall and they are 2-stroke.