1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tornado vs snowEx salters

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by chachi1984, Feb 25, 2012.

1. chachi1984

chachi1984 Senior Member

hey,
    I currently have a gas HIWAY 8ft salter i feel it works pretty well. I might be getting a few more properties and need another salter, ive read some threades on electric vs gas . but would like to know what u guys think about the western tornado salter. it seeems to use the same chain/conveyor style as the gasers, instead of the augur like snowex.
    ive read people having trouble running bulk salt throught snowex salter but like the idea of a poly spreader, just though maybe the tornado would work well ..

thanks

2. Khowie644

Khowie644 Member
    from Maine

Tornado

Tornado.
    All day long, chain will beat auger on bulk stuff.

3. Plow Nuts

Plow Nuts Senior Member

We have a snow doth 2 yard poly electric spreader. When it works it works well, but quite a few times the auger stopped only to find out the salt had compacted around the auger and the sumptuous motor did not have the balls to chew through it. Let me tell you how much it sucks to shovel 2 ton back onto the salt pile by hand to clear out the flow gates and get the auger spinning again. We leave it empty between storms and fill it right before use . Still acts up occasionally. :(

4. Plow Nuts

Plow Nuts Senior Member

Dang stood spell correction!!!!!!!

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If you run any sand, you definitely want the bed chain.

6. NW Snow Removal

NW Snow Removal Senior Member

close the front baffle nearly all the way. if too much salt, especially wet salt, gets around the auger as you drive it will settle and compact around the auger. By closing the front baffle nearly all the way, you will reduce the amount of salt around the auger and you will never have this problem again. Also, the new motors, should you ever have to replace yours, is much bigger and stronger for this very reason.

7. SDLandscapes VT

SDLandscapes VT Senior Member
    from Vermont

Hey we had the same problem with the chain salters (both swensons) they required tons of constant adjustment--we kept them empty between events, washed religiously and I shoveled out on more than one occasion. I have peers that own buyers with the augers and have had zero issues with bulk salt and bulk salt/sand--I wouldnt hesitate to go this route for my next salter

8. gd8boltman

gd8boltman Senior Member

Aside from the Snow Ex steel

framework, we love ours. We have had aside from a controller failure, 0 issues.

9. bigmac1276

bigmac1276 Member

I've had snow ex vee pro 3000 and went to a blizzard ice chaser. Will never go back to snow ex. Love the ice chaser!