1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tornado spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by snowngo, Nov 30, 2014.

1. snowngo

snowngo Member
    from midwest

Anyone have one and if so how do you like it ? I decided to try one . didn't like the fact that it didn't have a vibrator so I put one on. Have yet to use it but any comments would be most appreciated .

2. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

I was considering one because I like the doors on top, but I couldn't open them with my ladder rack there, so I had to go with a Buyers. Why did you decide on the Tornado though? My dealer gave me prices on both the Tornado and the Polycaster (exact same spreader), and he could have given me a Polycaster for almost a grand less than the Tornado.

3. Hysert

Hysert PlowSite.com Addict

Ive got 2.... been flawless for the last 5yrs.. i have a vibrator on one incase we need to sand... generally if the salt isnt wet it wont brigde.. vary simple to remove and install... ive added a few deflectors to the shoot so the salt stays directed to the spinner... only thing you need to keep up on every 4-5 events is i clean the salt out from under the conveyor bettween the truck bed. I use a eight foot pipe shaped like a "L" so u can push and pull the material stuck under there.

4. procuts0103

procuts0103 Senior Member

Check your chain. I found mine to leave a lot of salt under the unit and also leave a big pile behind the cab. I tightened the chain and it helped with carrying material to the back of the cab. I think it might drag on the bed and bring salt with it. Just my 2 cents. Hope this helps. I've had mine 3 years now and will be purchasing another one shortly. Very nice machine.

5. snowngo

snowngo Member
    from midwest

Great info guys ! My reasoning to get one was basicly just to try out the conveyor system in contrast to the auger system and they seem a bit more heavy duty . I have a saltdogg 2000 and had a snowex 9500( the tornado replaced the snowex) and they have been OK . I'm really glad to hear that they have held up for 5 years in what has to be severe conditions.

6. snowcommander

snowcommander Junior Member

I've had 2 for not quite 2 years and I'm really not a fan of them. We've had constant issues with them every time we have a snow event. Our problems revolve around the module and the spinner wiring/motor. We've had 5 different modules on these things, several trips to the shop for one, and it just gets worse and worse. We have never once had a problem with the conveyor or the conveyor motors, its always the module and what I call the "black box" on the back. Now we do use ours a lot, If I could estimate we've probably ran 200-225 ton of salt through each one in the one and a half seasons I've had them. I've put new wiring on them from the front to the back, new modules, the one that has had the most problems has a new spinner motor and new wires to the spinner, and we still have problems. We've also had a lid that broke halfway in two last year during the polar vortex. Western still hasn't decided if they're going to fix that. I've had to pay for a lot of the repairs, not all, but a lot on these things, and the dealer even agrees it's not what we're doing so I don't know what to think. We grease them every other time. They get cleaned and emptied every time. I'm thinkin SnowEx next time, but we'll have to see how these things do after they come back from the shop for the 3rd time this year...

7. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Only used mine once so far, but it spread wet sand with ease. Worked perfectly.

8. FIREMAN Q

FIREMAN Q Senior Member

Own 5 of them (3 blizzards but it's the same). Have on had a few issues over the years that were handled under warranty. Will never buy anything else. We grease them regularly, tighten and lube chains with fluid film beginning and end of season, and they fire up every year. Make sure you grease the fitting at the bottom of spinner. Been a source of problems before we noticed them. We also switched the chains out of the motor to a salt water grade chain and never had a problem with chains since

9. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

If I am remembering correctly the unit does NOT ( or at least didn't when I bought mine) come with an inverted V. I just made my own but it might be an option ..just something to think about. BTW like a poster above said we tweaked the flow of salt to hit the centerish of the spinner
    Steve

10. Hysert

Hysert PlowSite.com Addict

Yep V is a option.. make ur own for $50. Or spend $300+ from western.. well atleast up here in canada.... just put mine in the new 2.5 and i had a vibrator on the shelf do i mounted it up too...

11. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

We own 4 of these and have been really happy with them. Our oldest 2 are on their 3rd season and so far everything has been problem free. Even had one invoived in a serious accident that casued it to get ejected from the truck and it came out almost untouched! Very glad to be running all elecric units. The lid on top was the selling point for me, as small as it may seem.