1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tornado spreader surging

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by stackmaster, Dec 20, 2015.

1. stackmaster

stackmaster Senior Member

I have a western tornado that has a surging issue. There are two electric motors on the sander and both of them are surging. My question is could the surge be caused by my alternator?? I noticed that if I run the sander with the engine off, there is no surge. Start the truck and the surge is back. Thanks in advance for any help.
  2. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Put a good voltmeter on the battey, then run engine and salter, see if the voltage fluctuates.
  3. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Randall is on to the right way to diagnose before you throw parts at it.

It almost sounds like a dead cell in a battery to me. It is relying on the alternator to keep up instead of storing the power.
  4. stackmaster

Thanks for the replies. With a voltmeter on the battery there is a minimal drop in voltage when the sander is turned on. Nothing below 13 volts though.
    Thanks again.
  5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Try at the sander motors as well.
  6. stackmaster

At the motors the voltage varies big time. I believe there is a controller on the back that directs the power to the two motors. Wondering if its that.
  7. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

The modules usually work or don't... if they receive a surge they're done.I'm tempted to say its your cab control.
    I would check the wires feeding into the back for contact.
  8. stackmaster

I had this problem last year as well. Had to replace the controller in the cab because of bad contacts on the back so this is the second in cab controller with the same problem. The controller in the cab appears to be working correctly so really hoping it's not that again. $400 Canadian. Ouch
  9. bliz&hinikerDLR

bliz&hinikerDLR Senior Member

There was a service bulletin on those cab control rear contacts. I suggest you make your dealer prove that they filed a claim and if denied ask to have it reviewed citing the service bulletin. No reason you should have to buy one of those controls unless you physically damaged it.