1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tornado Spreader, Good or bad?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by L&S Cont., Oct 10, 2009.

1. L&S Cont.

L&S Cont. Junior Member

I looking at purchasing a new Tornado spreader, it'll be my first electric/poly. Just wondering if anyone had any coments on them? Are they as dependable as the traditional gas spreaders?
  2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I have the first generation PolyCaster. Two full seasons. Very reliable. Looked the new ones over today. Look pretty good. Two motors will be sweet. I like the rubber belt, but they went back to a steel bed chain.
  3. 3311

3311 Senior Member

Here is the chain drive model.

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

Love it! I have mine on 4x4s, as the first few really cold times without 4x4's I had some freezups/jaming on a full load of sand. I want to add an inverted v this year inside to ease the weight on the belt. I have a first generation one.
    I also plan on having a second wiring harness added to other truck just incase anything happens I can switch it in 20 mins.

The things that I really like are:
    Poly barn doors on the top to keep everything dry and keeps any over spill out of the truck bed.
    Easy in and out. One man can do it with a come-along strap or winch even.
    Electric so its quiet, no getting engines started and running them all night.
  5. snowangel13

snowangel13 Junior Member
    from chicago

We have 17 tornados old style and 7 new style. they are simply the best. we will never go gas again unless its close to free.
  6. L&S Cont.

L&S Cont. Junior Member

Thanks for the feed back guys.

Snow Angle: you must service a large area to require 24 sanders.

7. Potomac Lawns

Potomac Lawns Member

I have 1 also its 2 years old and works great