1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tornado spinner motor recall / repair?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by mishnick, Feb 23, 2011.

1. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Has anyone heard about the details on the Tornado spinner belt tensioner recall? I heard that there is some sort of upgrade / repair offered to correct the problem where the spinner shaft pully comes loose and breaks the belts and or motor shafts. Is it free or will it cost owners $$. Will all owners be contacted or will repairs only be offered to sanders that have problems? Any information is appreciated.:confused:
  2. XtremeSnowPros

XtremeSnowPros Member

No cost to you. Mine was replaced today but I didn't pick it up yet so I don't know what was done. Call your dealer. Good Luck!!
  3. RedsGarage25

RedsGarage25 Sponsor

Message frpm Western Products dated Feb 11th, 2011:

PRODUCT: Tornado™ Hopper Spreader
    SUBJECT: Broken Spinner Motor Shaft

Western Products has been aware of an existing condition involving motor shaft fractures within
    our poly hopper product line. We have identified the root cause of the motor shaft breakages, and
    our engineering team has developed a bolt-on upgrade kit to counter this effect for all second generation
    poly hopper spreaders manufactured from 2009 through February 4, 2011. The newly
    designed bracing will provide higher strength and rigidity within the lower support frame of the
    spinner assembly to eliminate fracturing of the motor shafts.
    The new kit (PN 48970) will include all the necessary parts and hardware, along with a new "Quick-
    Set belt tension tool" for ease-of-use tension setting and detailed instructions.
    Western Products would like to thank you for your patience and understanding while we worked to
    resolve this opportunity for our mutual customers. We are confi dent this update will eliminate the
    current condition.
  4. French frog

French frog Junior Member

Hey Just wondering if you ever got the problem fix as mine has stop working and need to get the spinner motor working....:mad:
  5. John Murphy

John Murphy Senior Member

All customers who purchased a unit and completed and returned their Owner Registration Card were notified via mail of the communication posted by RedsGarage25.
  6. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

I have installed the fix on several sanders now, it is pretty simple and only takes about an hour. The fix deals with several issues one being the problem with the large sprocket coming loose and sliding down the shaft. All they do for this problem is install a small ring on the spinner shaft under the sprocket with a set screw so when the sprocket comes loose it cannot slide down any more. If you take it to your Western dealer they will install this free of charge along with a few other parts which resolve other problems as well. The kit was supposed to come with a "quick set belt tension tool" but I have not seen one of them, that would have been nice as setting the belt tension is a pain in the keister.
    Last edited: May 27, 2011