1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

TORNADO problems

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Mackman, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

I have a 1.8 yard tornado. Its almost 3 years old. I think the spreader control module is bad. I looked up the module on CPW for a rough price 500 BUCKS!!. Im not to happy about it. I mean the spreader last year had 1 load of salt thur it.

I plugged the salter in and got nothing. So i start trouble shooting. I unhooked the 2 motors from the control module and put 12v power to both of them and they worked fined. But when everything is hooked up to the control module i get nothing at all. No noise or anything. Im getting power to the control module cuz i tested it with a test light. But i have no power on the conv. motor post or spinner motor post.

So does anybody have any ideas?? Once i buy a control module i cant return it. So i dont want to get stuck with a 500 dollar part i dont need.

Im starting to think i should have bought a Gas spreader. For 500 - 600 i can buy a whole new gas engine for it. Plus 2 years ago i had to put a spinner motor on it.

2. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

Your controller should be flashing error codes? If I remember correct, there is a sensor that stops the unit when it is empty. Throw some salt or sand in it or have someone stand in it and try

3. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

got anyone with the same model. Go test ur controller

you can search the blink codes.

Preseason jitters. Give the connections a shot of electronic cleaner

4. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

Its flashing error code 1. Which means its not hooked up to the spreader. But it is cuz i tested it and i have power at the control module. But i get no power at the conv. motor or spinner motor when i test the posts on the control module. Thats what has be thinking it is the module.

BTW there are no sensors that have to do with weight. Everything works when its empty.

Here is a video when i got it. You can see it working empty.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cv2fzVQLRY

I dont know of anyone with the same type spreader. When i had it all apart I checked the wires and clean all the connections.

5. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I've found the wires on the back of the controller to be very delicate, I would start there, most of the guys that have a problem with the controller don't have it mounted sturdy enough. I believe it to be a weakness in the design.HTH.

6. all ferris

all ferris Senior Member

Did you ever figure this out? I am having the same problems

7. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Did you check the big fuse under the hood by the battery? The controller gets power from ign but the sander module gets power straight off the battery through the fuse. If the fuse is open the MUX on the controller will call out to the sander module but since it has no power it won't answer. Hence the red flashing light, no communication.

The plow module can hang by the wires and still work, no body ground needed. Mounts are just to hold it from falling off.

Also look for damage to the two small wires on the big cable. Usually at the back where the cable gets sand blasted by spinner. That cable needs to be routed behind the bumper away from spinner path. You can splice a bit of normal wire in to repair a break.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  8. all ferris

all ferris Senior Member

I have power and ground at the spreader control module (located at the rear of the spreader. The conveyor motor also runs fine if I run power to it directly. I also ohmed out the 2 small wires from the control module to the in cab controller and they are good. Are the 2 smaller wires supposed to supply some sort of voltage to the control module to tell it to supply voltage to the conveyor/spinner motor? I did check voltage of the 2 small wires and they had between 1.7v and 3v. I am assuming I have a bad spreader control module and I have ordered a new one. Hope I'm right???

9. mishnick

Those two small wires should be twisted. They are the multiplex communication wires. One for commands from controller to sander module and the other for messages from module to the red light in the controller. This light flashes then pauses and repeats. There are about 10 error and "courtesy" messages.
    A module is a good place to start, too bad you can't return them once opened.

10. all ferris

all ferris Senior Member

Yes, I was getting the 1 beep/red light flash. Even it the module does not fix it, I need a new module anyway because salt seams to have eaten the aluminum from it. I need to come up with something to keep salt off this module.

11. mishnick

The module is a sealed unit. The aluminum is just for heat sink. To dissipate heat so the electronics doesn't self destruct. Some of that battery post red spray jelly stuff is good for the lugs.

12. all ferris

all ferris Senior Member

The problem with mine is that the holes the the mounting bolts go through are about gone...it was about to fall off:eek:

Hungry salt

Thanks for the info. I will post back when I get the new module.

13. all ferris

all ferris Senior Member

New spreader control module fixed mine.