1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tornado prewet

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Hysert, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Hysert

Hysert PlowSite.com Addict

This is my first attempt at a prewet system? I've been up and down about trying liquid for a few yrs now! 50gal tank, 3gpm 12v pump, 1 60° fan.. I also put a quick disconnect for removing the spinner.. I will be running caliber ice melt.. i connected it to one of my upfitter switches that i used for the vibrator, both have the same plug so i can switch if need be. I haven't ran it yet so any input would be great? My plans are to use it on real cold days and places with no sun.. any advise from you guys running would be great

2016-02-19 17.16.18.jpg

2016-02-19 17.15.57.jpg

2016-02-19 17.15.12.jpg
  2. Ajlawn1

Ajlawn1 Senior Member

I placed mine in chute so it would prewet prior to spinner, just not sure how much you will actually be hitting on the spinner itself.
  3. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

I second spraying in the chute. How much liquid are you going to be spraying per ton of salt?
    Once you get it dialed in you will wonder why you didn't do it sooner.
  4. Hysert

Thanks guys... I wondered were to mount the nozzle, after some research over the past weeks I was seeing it in both locations?? I have no numbers yet, as I haven't even ran it yet, and I'm not sure if I will be using it on every site! Definitely in prototype stage at this point!
  5. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Looking good H, little trial and experience will go along way.
  6. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

Two recommendations: 1) As others have said, you'll probably have better luck mounting the fan nozzle up in the chute, for a couple reasons. A) it's protected from road grime up in there and B) it's shielded from wind when using during really windy conditions.
    2) Mount a ball valve inline between the pump and the nozzle. You will probably find that it is spraying way more than you need, so the valve will let you dial back the flow so that you aren't spraying anymore than what you need to get good coverage on the salt you are putting down. I mounted mine on the back wall (farthest from the truck) of the chute spraying forward (towards the truck) in the chute. Mount it a few inches below where the salt falls out the back of the spreader. Basically, the salt falls through a curtain of liquid on its way down the chute to the spinner. Once you get it adjusted correctly, you should be able to cut way back on the amount of salt you apply while still getting the desired melting results. Good luck.
  7. Hysert

Thx for the recommendation! Will add a ball valve forsure, and I'm gonna play with the nozzle placement..
  8. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

How much does the caliber ice melt cost per gallon?
  9. Hysert

It's $.33/liter... so it should cost me around $65 to fill the tank! If the results are good it's really not much cost at all..
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
  10. Hysert

Just ran the pre wet for the first time! Seems it's at about 4-5 gal per ton..
  11. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

I have mine set to run 6 - 8 gal. per ton depending on my auger setting. I have a 1gpm pump with a .40 nozzle and it works really well for me.
  12. potskie

potskie Senior Member
    from Ontario

Nice setup! I like where you have the nozzle. I have two 30° in the housing over the conveyor and I've been on the fence about putting them where you have. It's a royal pain in the butt popping the spinner housing off my polycaster everytime I need to clean out a nozzle or something of that nature.

Keep an eye on that as well, I believe we are running the same product and if so you may find the same thing I have. There are occasionally solids and in cold cold ( I've been noticing it below ~ - 13) temps it will create solids that will plug nozzles.
  13. Hysert

Im really happy so far with the results, can actually say I'm a believer now.. lol.. I was gonna move the nozzle like the other mentioned but as of right it seems ok. Thanks for the heads up on the nozzle cleaning haven't had that issue just yet?

The setup cost me $400 which is vary reasonable for the results I've seen so far.