1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tornado issue #2

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by xtreem3d, Dec 20, 2009.

1. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

spread 1 ton of salt and had to stop.

tornado 1.JPG

tornado 2.JPG

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Took me a second, but I see it now. DD at their finest. Never looked at mine, I presume there are set screws? Or were? Gonna be fun shoveling the load out to fix it.

3. xtreem3d

at least hoping the shaft is still inside the bearing a bit so i can hammer it back through w/ out removing the spreader and having to align the sprockets, bearings ,ect
    steve

4. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX PlowSite.com Addict

Is this the new Tornado?

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

That's what I was thinking after posting. It might help to back those tensioning bolts off some too.

6. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

It's a POS

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Plain Old Sander?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  8. xtreem3d

i won't say that because i haven't gotten to use it much..but i can say for sure that almost all the fasteners were loose when i recieved both of mine..never thought to check the set screws. i can say i am happy with the way it distrubutes the salt at least ;)

9. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Working on new stuff (big or small issues) makes it a POS in my mind...I hope you get it figured out and fixed and make money with it!

10. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Looks faded for being new.

11. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Agreed maybe not new!

12. xtreem3d

it is brand new , only a couple weeks old..maybe flash affected color...you can see bearing , frame and bolts are new. i agree it sucks to work on something after 10 minutes of use. luckily i got it all back aligned and fixed

13. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

did you do the install or have someon else do it??? thats horseshit either way...

14. xtreem3d

i put it in...you almost can't call it an install just drop it in the truck and run a wire loom :laughing:

15. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

They throw them together at the factory. Doesnt matter what company. You got to go through the whole unit and check everthing when you get a new unit. Pathetic but true.

16. rpainetfd

rpainetfd Member

I have the Fisher Model and built the wood box in front of the spreader the way the instructions say. After I hit a few good curbs while plowing, I took a look at the spreader to make sure I did not damage anything when it hit hard on the wood. I never looked at it close prior to use. It appears that the bottom side of the stainless channel for the chain is narrower than the top, like if you look at the spreader from the front, that the sides of that stainless channel tip out on the top. Have you noticed this on your model? Is that the way it is made, or did I bend something. (sorry I cant post pics right now with it mounted in the truck, I know it is hard to tell what I am talking about without pics, but figured i would try). Thanks

17. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

Did you grease the bearing, or did it come that way? That is way too much grease for that size bearing. This might not have caused your problem, but too much grease with make the bearing heat up causing expansion of the bearing. I wouldn't put anymore then 3 to 5 pumps of grease, 5 being the max at a time in each bearing. And wipe out the old stuff as it is pushed out.

18. The mayor

The mayor Senior Member

Those are pillow block bearings, you can grease the hell out of them. They are a lower rpm setup.

19. xtreem3d

yeah i can't imagine that bearing ever even getting warm...the set screws were almost all the way out. so far so good

20. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

Ya but its good pratice though.

I know what it is. Ok if you say so!
    I wasnt thinking that it is low rpm, so the chances of heating up might be slim. By the looks of it, it looks to me that those bearing are sealed. So that much grease is not needed.
    I have been checking Western's site to see what they say. They dont say, so I guess keep doing what you have been doing.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2009