1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tornado inprovments

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Hysert, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Hysert

Hysert PlowSite.com Addict

My tornado spreader has been pritty flawless about 35 tons thru it, besides the shoot gate arm going for a S#^t.... So I mounted it permanently and removed the linkages... I also added some thin gauge aluminum on the spinner unit to direct the salt right on the spinner itself, with this improvement there is really no over spillage, and it keeps the salt off the truck, keep in mind I run my spinner at its lowest position. Thought I would share this with everyone hopefully these mods can help others....

Last edited: Dec 24, 2011
  2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Too bad Western couldn't make these improvements at the factory. I see you have done something with the flimsy shute controle lever. Check your spinner pully too, I have been drilling a divot in the spinner saft of my new sales to make sure the pully doesn't slide down the spnner shaft and break the belt or damage the motor. Also keep an eye on the conveyor chain drive. The bolts are often too loose from the factory allowing the motor to shift until the teeth from the motor sproket become interlocked with the big driven sproket. Behaves like a buggered right angle drive but much easier to fix, and cheaper. I would like to design a little turnbuckle with two bearings on it to put on those two shafts to hold them apart and provide a bit of support. These two sprockets are sooooo close together their is no room for anything to come loose.

3. Hysert

Hysert PlowSite.com Addict

QUOTE=mishnick;1236193]Too bad Western couldn't make these improvements at the factory. I see you have done something with the flimsy shute controle lever. Check your spinner pully too, I have been drilling a divot in the spinner saft of my new sales to make sure the pully doesn't slide down the spnner shaft and break the belt or damage the motor. Also keep an eye on the conveyor chain drive. The bolts are often too loose from the factory allowing the motor to shift until the teeth from the motor sproket become interlocked with the big driven sproket. Behaves like a buggered right angle drive but much easier to fix, and cheaper. I would like to design a little turnbuckle with two bearings on it to put on those two shafts to hold them apart and provide a bit of support. These two sprockets are sooooo close together their is no room for anything to come loose.[/QUOTE]

Definately some flimsy designs, I have check all the bolts last year and found lot to be loose! And the spinner adjustment nuts were under the black plastic cover meaning u had to remove everything to adjust belt tention. I fliped mine around so it can be done much easier but I had to cut off about .5" of the 2 bolt or it was rubbing the belt. I just adjusted the conveyor motor chain this week since I bought it new 35tons through it not bad I say. Over all vary happy with mine